17.

"girl, what the hell has you cheesing like that?" amari asked, peeking over her menu at airie as they looked through their menus

"girl, what the hell has you cheesing like that?" amari asked, peeking over her menu at airie as they looked through their menus. airie perked up from her phone she'd held between her and the menu, shaking her head. "nothing, noth-"

"it's probably aubrey," valerie teased, giving her a little smirk and airie shooting daggers her way. "stoooop. he just...he said i looked pretty."

"oh brother," bria chirped and rolled her eyes, all of them eventually laughing it off. "never thought i'd see the day where airie had someone making her smile and blush like a little school girl. it's cute," bria reached over to gently pinch her cheek, airie whining and swatting her hand away.

"you nor me," airie started and brushed a few hairs behind her ears, tilting her head to the side. "it's weird with him. it's like oh, i don't want to allow myself to openly and comfortably fall for someone so quickly, but he doesn't push me. he lets me do what i do, i let him do what he does. it's slow now, but it's fun, kind of?"

"i get you," amari nodded, and airie inhaled softly through her teeth. "ever since last weekend, i feel like- i feel like i'm actually trying, now. probably because he lets me do it at my own pace, and he isn't trying to force a title or anything like that. i'm cool with it."

"look at our little bean, all grown up," valerie sighed dramatically and took a sip from her water, airie rolling her eyes again and laughing. "i'm not even the youngest one-"

"it's like i can still remember when she said she never wanted to try another relationship again-"

"valerie!"

airie waved at her friends as she made her way to her car, getting inside and shooting aubrey a quick message, letting him know she was on her way to him. it was a warm saturday afternoon, and after brunch with her friends, she was feeling good. it wasn't the mimosas only, it was just an overall feeling of lightness. she touched gently on the locket on her neck and smiled softly, exhaling afterwards. "miss you, daddy. but everything's good. we gone be okay," she shifted to start driving, her phone ringing afterwards. she peeked down at the bluetooth, jalissa's name popping up on the screen.

she made a face, blinking a few times before tapping the answer button. "hey, what's up?"

"hey," jalissa started, soft ruffling in the background being heard. "i was just wondering if you wanted to meet up for drinks later on? just like a girl's date kinda thing, since we haven't been able to do lunch yet," she continued, airie pursing her lips again. she thought back to aubrey telling her to be mindful around her, and figured she was trying to learn things about her, but the optimist in her figured she just wanted a friend to talk to, maybe someone to just be close to. airie wasn't the kind of girl to spill all the beans when she was drunk (save for the club last weekend), so, she really couldn't see any harm in it.

"sure, sure. what time do you wanna meet up and where? there's this bar downtown called priscilla's, they have pretty good drinks we can get."

"sure, sure, how does 8 sound?"