28.

"what- why are you here? it's late and raining," airie looked up at aubrey as he stood in her door way, blinking a few times

"what- why are you here? it's late and raining," airie looked up at aubrey as he stood in her door way, blinking a few times. she still wasn't mentally prepared to see him or speak to him, as they still hadn't spoken since he revealed to her that he may or may not have a child. she truly didn't know why he was here, but the look on his face was enough to worry her. "i...i don't know," he mumbled as he looked at her, airie sighing softly afterwards and pulling him inside when she heard a clap of thunder and a lightening strike lighting up the house, "come inside before you get soaked."

he followed her movements inside, the two of them standing in the foyer as she closed the door. he inhaled softly and clenched his jaw, airie blinking and tilting her head so she could look at him better; she knew something was wrong, she had never seen him like this before, and it genuinely worried her, in part because she couldn't read his mind and also because she couldn't read his expression.

"i'm-i'm a...dad. airie, i'm somebody's dad. i- i don't know what to do," he spoke suddenly, airie freezing for a moment. the utter confusion, pain, anxiety in his voice was enough for her stomach to sink. it was enough to take in that he was a father, but even moreso that he didn't know what to do. she was quiet, looking up at him to give him the space to keep speaking. "i don't know what to do. i...i came here because i felt like you'd have an answer."

"aubrey," she started softly and sighed, closing her eyes for a moment. once her eyes closed, he leaned down to rest his forehead on her shoulder, her eyes opening so she could look and see what was going on. as much as she wanted to tell him to get his big ass up and turn around -- she couldn't push him away. she couldn't turn him away. he needed someone to talk to, someone to be there at the moment. just like she'd let him in to the emotional parts of him, he was now letting her into his -- whether or not they knew what was going on between the two of them at the moment. she let out a soft sigh and moved her arms up to wrap around his shoulders, one of her hands against the back of his neck and the other one on the back of his head to keep him there for the time being.

as much as some would see it as childish -- he wanted to be held by her. he felt like he needed to be held by her. her scent -- that oh-so-familiar apple scent -- calmed his nerves, it brought him absolute comfort. the gentleness of her hands, how she touched him ever so softly to bring him comfort, to calm his spirit just a little. he never told her that, he just always assumed she knew without it having to be spoken of. he assumed she just knew that despite everything going on, she was his safety.

she closed her eyes and they stood there in silence for a moment, the only sounds coming from the downpour outside and their soft breathing every now again. after a few moments, his arms circled around her waist to pull her into him, a soft sniffle coming from him; even though he didn't want her to see him crying, he couldn't hide the fact that he was trying to process so many emotions at one time, emotions that he couldn't completely contain ever since he'd gotten the piece of mail earlier. he was feeling quite raw at the moment. airie scooted in and kept her arms around shoulders, her thumb gently brushing along the back of his neck once she heard the sniffle from him. she couldn't blame him; not in the slightest. they hadn't even talked about children or even having kids.