Chapter 96: A Trip to Church

October 22nd, 2024, sixteen days until the 75th Floor's Boss is defeated.

*KIRITO'S POV*

Kirito: "D-Didn't I request something that wasn't so flashy?"

Asuna: "It's one of the far less flashy ones. It looks great on you."

Kirito: "... A guild, huh?"

Asuna: "I didn't mean to drag you into this-"

Kirito: "-No, it's a good chance. I was reaching the limits of what a solo player can do... well, I suppose what I feel I can do as a solo player personally..."

Asuna: "Yeah, I don't know what drives that U/N, they really pull their weight well- and that Unique Skill they used to beat Heathcliff... how long have they been hiding that for?!"

Kirito: "I suppose we'll just have to ask them the next time we see them... that'd probably be at the next Boss Fight now!"

Asuna: "Heh, U/N is as predictable as they are secretive aren't they!... But you know, what you said about being at your limits by yourself and wanting to try joining the Guild- that does make me feel better about all this, but... Hey Kirito. I want you to tell me why you avoid Guilds... And other people. It isn't just because you're a beta tester or have a unique skill, right? You're a nice person."

Kirito: "It was a long time ago. Over a year ago... I did join a guild, just the one time. The guild was tiny, only five other members. Its name was the Moonlit Black Cats."

Asuna: "..."

Kirito: "To be honest, their levels were far lower than mine. So I think if I'd told them my true level, they would have reconsidered. But I hid it, and I joined their guild. The way they all seemed so comfortable together was something I coveted. But one day... I was the one who got them all killed. Had I not hidden the fact that I was a beater, I could have warned them how dangerous that trap was. All of them... Sachi... I killed them."

Asuna: "S-Sachi?! Wait, but I thought that...? When was this?"

Kirito: "June... it was June last year, they died... all of them."

Asuna: "Well... not all of them, Sachi... she's still alive, I spoke to her just a couple of weeks ago."

Kirito: "wha-... what do you mean? Sachi as in S-A-C-H-I?"

Asuna: "Yeah, the same Sachi who came over for a couple of our celebrations at U/N's Inn Room, right?"

Kirito: "A-And she's still alive? How? I saw her... I saw her die right in front of me!"

Asuna: "I can't remember exactly... but it was something to do with that locket that U/N was wearing for a while, they revived Sachi last Christmas Day using some Revival Crystal they got from somewhere or other. It almost cost U/N their sight though- they were blind for the rest of the night!"