Chapter 36: Helping hand from the Black Swordsman

I woke up early the next day, looking over I can see that Lisbeth was still asleep so I left a message saying I was heading out to the field and that I probably won't be back for a day or two- I left this alongside a breakfast patty on the table before heading out.

I was on my way to the Teleport Gate when I hear my username being called out from behind.

???: "Hey U/N! Wait up!"

Turning around to the source I see Kirito making his way towards me, still wearing the black cloak he got as a Last Hit Bonus from the First Floor Boss... which reminds me, I still haven't told anyone about the reward I got from the Second Floor Boss... not that I've taken them out of my inventory since let alone tried wearing them! . . . I guess I could sell them as a unique novelty item or something... could make some decent Col of them once people have more to waste on such purchases-

Kirito: "Hey, you in there? Hello?!"

Y/N: "o- Oh, sorry. My mind was elsewhere... what were you saying?"

Kirito: "I was just asking if you were heading out to the newly unlocked parts of the field now."

Y/N: "Ah, yeah that was the plan. Why?"

Kirito: "Well, after we all defeated the Mid-Floor Boss it was pretty late so most of them went back to the inn for the night. But me and Asuna went on ahead for the next quest step in the Elven War Questline... sorry about that by the way, we didn't mean to ditch you- we just got quite into it and it slipped our minds!"

Y/N: "That's okay, it worked out to be quite fortunate for me to be where I was.."

Kirito: "Oh good, you should let Asuna know that! She's still beating herself up over it!"

Y/N: "oh, guess I'll do that next time I see her. So did you manage to finish the questline yesterday?"

Kirito: "Mostly, just one more step. We just have one last task to do and then we can see off Kizmel before she moves to the next floor of the questline."

Y/N: "Oh good, Kizmel's not gone yet- I still need to hand in my quest she gave me."

Kirito: "Ah right, you went to hunt down some beast right? How'd that go?"

Y/N: "It was an oversized falcon, it wasn't too much an issue but I think that was because it was already wounded."

Kirito: "Oh? Do you think someone else took the quest before you and failed?"

Y/N: "I don't think so, Kizmel is exclusively our npc for the questline right? Everyone else has been getting a generic Elf and nobody else has managed... or tried to keep their Elves alive so I can't imagine anyone else had a chance at it... I think it was a scripted status to make it more manageable."

Kirito: "Interesting... OH! I almost forgot the reason I came with you out here! Whilst Asuna and I were out here we did a little bit of mapping but we kept an eye out specifically for spots where the spider mobs spawned that I can send you real quick, but there's a specific spot that Asuna asked me to help you through, it's a hallway you can't avoid that has a bunch of 'em"

Y/N: "a-ahhhh... not looking forward to that!"

Kirito: "Asuna wanted to be here to help but I know how early you like to head out and I couldn't reach her through message- she's probably still asleep. So I'll help you through the hallway and send you the mapping of where to avoid and then I might go and map the spots you can't get to so combined the two of us can have a complete map for Argo."

Y/N: "That sounds good to me, thanks a bunch Kirito!"

Kirito: "No worries, if the girls were here they'd probably be pushing the whole 'leaning on people when you need it' mantra right now, but I get the angle you got- just try not to get yourself killed okay?"

Y/N: "I'll try not to!"

Kirito: "Best any of us can hope for really, in this death game we've found ourselves in..."

Y/N: "But that doesn't stop us from enjoying our time in here right? It may be a death game but it's also still a virtual world with so much to do and so many possibilities!"

Kirito: "Right! I feel the same way- ah! Here comes that hallway I warned you about, how do you want to do this?"

*TIMESKIP*

Damn! I hated every moment of that, I'm just glad it's over now and I'm as far away from that hallways as I could be!

*STAB* *STAB* *SHATTER* - *STAB* *STAB* *SHATTER* - *STAB* *STAB* *SHATTER*

Ah, it's nice to be back out here again, I missed the simple enjoyment that is grinding mobs.

*STAB* *STAB* *SHATTER* - *STAB* *STAB* *SHATTER* - *STAB* *STAB* *SHATTER*

I lost a little bit of the ground I had between me and the other players in terms of exp but that's not such a bad thing. As long as I can still grind without people trying to fight me over the mobs spawns then I have no problems... but judging from first impressions I can't really trust these new guilds to be good sports.

*STAB* *STAB* *SHATTER* - *STAB* *STAB* *SHATTER* - *STAB* *STAB* *SHATTER*

I've been moving throughout the field for quite a while now, it seems night is beginning to fall... it's kind of hard to tell with the towering canopy layer and the constant mists but it does seem darker now- I suppose I can just check the time in my menu... ah, yeah it's quite late!

[NEW MESSAGE - SENDER: Kirito]

"

Hey U/N, finished mapping out the spider-infested parts of the floor, it's been a decent day's grinding so I'll be heading back to town now and leaving Argo with the mapping that I've gotten, I'll let her know you've got the other half.

Also, you should head into the town that's nearby the labyrinth, so when you want to go grinding you can teleport to and from there instead of having to go near that spider hallway. I can't recall the name of the town but it should be pretty obvious when you find it.

Have a good one, stay safe!

- Kirito

"

Ah that's a good idea, I think I'm just on the outskirts of this town, just waiting to level up from these Wolves... these guys are bigger than the ones that attacked Lisbeth and her late friends, but I can manage them and they are FANTASTIC for experience.

*STAB* *STAB* *SHATTER* - *STAB* *STAB* *SHATTER* - *STAB* *STAB* *SHATTER*

And if it's like on the previous two floors then this town should be within a 5 minute walk to the Labyrinth, so once I've set up the ability to teleport to and from this town I can have a quick look for the Labyrinth for future expeditions.

*STAB* *STAB* *SHATTER* - *STAB* *STAB* *SHATTER* - *STAB* *STAB* *SHATTER*

[LEVEL-UP!]

Ah! There it is, well let's quickly try one more wave of these wolves, are they still good for exp or do I have to find another spot?

*STAB* *STAB* *SHATTER* - *STAB* *STAB* *SHATTER* - *STAB* *STAB* *SHATTER*

hmmmm... it's still an okay amount of exp per kill, I'll farm off these guys for a little bit longer I guess...

*STAB* *STAB* *SHATTER* - *STAB* *STAB* *SHATTER* - *STAB* *STAB* *SHATTER*

At this rate, I should definitely be boss-ready by the end of the week...

<1235 words>