Chapter 26 - A Late Night Walk

Elias's POV

We arrived back at the mountain, bringing the remains of the android man to show Red Tornado. The six of stood around a table as RT examined the components of the machine while we took turns explaining what happened.

"It's likely it was created to sabotage or destroy you," Kaldur explains to him with a serious expression on his face and Meghan nodded in agreement beside him.

"I believe that is the case," RT agreed simply and Meghan looked up at him in question.

"Is that why you wouldn't agree to help us?" she asked curiously, though it seemed unlikely that RT would put his own safety above ours if that were the case.

"No. This was your battle, I should not solve your problems nor should you mine, no matter the circumstances" he says simply before turning to exit the room, I can't help but chuckle at his straight forward demeanor. The rest of the team share shocked expressions.

"If any of the League members were here, they would've swooped right in to help us," Wally points out and Robin is quick to add on.

"I suppose if we're supposed to have a babysitter a heartless machine is the perfect candidate," he says thoughtlessly and I immediately cringe at the harshness of his words.

"Dude, that's a little harsh," I let him know as I pat his shoulder in urgency, though Tornado doesn't seem to be offended by his words.

"It's also inaccurate, I do have a heart. As well as excellent hearing," Tornado responds to subtly inform Robin that he heard his observation, Rob scratches his neck sheepishly.

"Yeah, sorry about that. I will try to be more accurate," Rob apologizes and without another word, Tornado leaves the room, leaving the six of us alone with the dismembered robot on the table in front of us.

"I gotta say, we didn't do too bad today," I say proudly and the rest of the team turns to look at me. "I mean, we didn't get captured or anything and nobody died, good job guys. Gold star," I cheer jokingly as I throw my arms over Wally and Rob's shoulder, both of them smiling at my joking demeanor.

"Yeah, Speedy was wrong about us," Rob comments as he crosses his arms with a grin and Aqualad adds on to his statement.

"This team might just work out," he says with a proud smile and I squeeze Wally and Rob tightly with my arms, they wheeze at the strength of my grip and I laugh out loud before releasing them.

"So what do we do now?" I ask as I hop up to sit on the edge of the table. It was already the evening, so I was assuming everyone would head home. I really didn't want to go home yet, cause that means walking home from inner Central City in the dark.

"I suppose we should head to our homes, it is getting late after all," Kaldur suggests and I sigh at his words, knowing he was the responsible role model figure of the team so everyone would most likely follow his actions.

"Plus, it's a school night," Rob adds jokingly and I groan as I slump in disappointment. Wally notices and chuckles at my demise like an ass.

"What, didn't do your homework?" Wally asks cheekily and I pick up a bolt from the robot parts on the table and chuck it at his head. It hits him in the forehead and he exclaims in pain as it bounces off onto the floor.

"No, I just don't want to walk back to Barry's house in the dark. It's like a ten minute walk from inner Central City!" I exclaim while throwing my hands in the air for emphasis.

"Don't you have super speed, just run," Superboy says, slightly irritated with my issue. His words made me roll my eyes.

"I'm in my civilian clothes stupid, my neighbours might recognize me if I speed," I point out and he frowns in embarrassment. I know we aren't exactly the best of friends yet but his aggressive nature isn't making it any easier to get along with him.