Chapter 5- A New Life

It's been about a year since we moved into our new house, the change was definitely strange to adjust to. After everything that happened I decided to continue my high school education at a normal rate, I realized I was in no rush to get recognized by heroes just yet.

Although I still have the education level of an 11th year student, I decided to do 9th grade like the other kids my age. It was a nice break from the constant pursuit of perfection I've endured my whole life.

Making friends was a lot easier now that I was normal like everyone else (at least in their eyes). It proves difficult to make friends when everyone in your class is 3 years older than you.

The learning part was a breeze of course, considering I had already learned everything at the highest level, so I had time to hangout with friends and do more research on heroes. Flash in particular.

I had tried to practice my abilities and I discovered there were basically two types of fast I could go. The really fucking fast so everything is slow, and the regular fast like what the Flash does. I haven't been able to activate the really fucking fast one since the incident with Eli, so I assume it's initiated by survival instincts or something.

I've been able to use the normal fast a bit, but every time I've tried it was super sporadic and out of control. It feels like using one of those cheap remote control race cars.

Since I can't control my abilities, I decided to not use them and do my best to fit in as a normal girl. I suppose it's working considering I'm about to have one of my first sleep overs with my new friends!

For my 14th birthday I'm throwing a sleepover party with them at my home, my parents even agreed to go out for the night with Elliot so we could have the house to ourselves...well plus Eli.

The little dumbass refused to leave for the night because he wanted to stay at home so that he could flirt with my friends. A poorly thought out decision on his part since he has about as much of a chance with them as I have to fail a class. Which is impossible.

Alright never mind Eli, I was shaking with excitement at the thought of having a real sleepover with my friends. My silent joy was interrupted by the doorbell ringing, the girls arrived and immediately pushed past me into my house, all of them bursting with excitement as well. Four of them had come, Amy, Melody, Emily, and Christine.

They squealed as I lead them in, gushing about all of the fun things we were gonna do tonight: paint nails, gossip, pillow fight, truth or dare, and many other classic sleepover activities.

It felt nice to feel like a normal teenage girl doing normal teenage things for once.

The evening went by smoothly at first, we ordered a pizza in and ate while sharing funny stories with one another and laughing so hard that tomato sauce came out our noses. Dinner was followed by some games and truth or dare, which resulted in Melody eating a spoonful of mayonnaise and Amy confessing that she had a crush on the boy in our science class.

Soon cake time arrived and we were all sat around the table with a pink cake in the middle. I blew out the candles and cut the cake, after we'd all eaten a slice Christine decided to spice things up a bit.

"Food fight!" she shouted while shoving the rest of her cake into Amy's face, who immediately gasped and smeared some of her cake onto Christine's shirt with a grin.

We all chucked cake at each other and laughed cheerfully, it was all fun and games until somebody accidentally tossed a chunk of cake at the knife that was lodged in the cake and it launched in the air straight towards Melody.

"Melody!" I hollered at her as I watched the knife get closer to her, before I could stop myself everything was in slow motion. I ran to the knife and grabbed it mid air, stopping just inches away from Melody. Almost immediately after things went back to normal speed, followed by an alarming silence in the room.

I could feel everyone's eyes on me, Melody stared up at me in horror while everyone else gawked from afar. The situation felt all to familiar to when my family discovered my abilities. I dared to take a look around the room at everyone's faces, Amy was so stuck in shock that she dropped the piece of cake that she was about to throw at Emily.

Emily's jaw seemed to drop all the way to the floor as she stared at me and I saw Melody step back slowly from in front of me and hide behind Christine. I noticed all of them had huddled cautiously into the corner of the kitchen and when I started to approach them the backed up further.

"Don't come any closer!" Amy warned as I step closer to them, I immediately felt my throat run dry at her cold words.

"I don't know what the hell just happened but that was not normal!" Melody shouted accusingly and I was starting to regret saving her from that knife for many reasons (and one them would be cruel to say)

"What was that!? What the fuck was that?!" Emily screamed at me confusion, obviously being the most frightened out of all of them.

"I...saved Melody from a knife?" I spoke cautiously and Christine immediately stepped forward with a finger pointed at me.

"Yeah! Just saved her by running across the damn room before any of us could blink!" She shouted as she threw her hands in the air for emphasis.

I was beginning to question my choices in friends and that inviting them over was a mistake as they began to approaching me menacingly.

"How exactly did you just run across the whole room in less than a mili-second huh?" Christine continued as she retracted her hands towards her in disgust of me.

"Yeah are you like some alien or failed experiment?" Amy said joining in with Christine's accusation and in that moment I felt like shrivelling up and dying as the people I thought were my friends continued harassing me.

"What are you trying to say?" I choked out trying my best not to let the tears that were pooling in my eyes slip out.

"Uhh I don't know, maybe that we're really fucking confused about you at the moment and maybe you should enlighten us." Emily said sarcastically with venom in her tone, I was beginning to feel anger rise within my stomach.

"It's none of your business okay! I don't know why you guys are being so aggressive about this!" I yelled at them and they backed away gasping, I was so caught up in the situation that I didn't notice my brother was hiding on the stairs listening to our conversation.

"I think it is our business when you never told us that you were such...such-." Amy struggled to find the word to finish but I had a hunch I knew what it would be.

"Such a freak!" she spat out and my eyes widened at the hatred in her voice. Freak. That word seemed to set me off, the tears in my eyes cascaded down my cheeks.

"I'm. Not. A. Freak." I mumbled and they sneered at me in response.

"Well you sure seem like one, freak." Emily hissed and I brought my head up to meet her eyes, they held nothing but disdain for me.

"You should have told us about this earlier, I would've had second thoughts about being your friend." Amy said as if I betrayed her.

"Yeah, the hell would I wanna be friends with a freak for? We be social outcasts," Christine said simply and they all nodded in agreement, I backed away in disbelief that this was really happening.

"So...because I'm different you guys are just going to throw me away? I thought you were my friends!" I said with pain clearly in my voice but they showed no sympathy.

"I guess...I was wrong." I spoke with anger laced in my tone and they stepped back again.

"Jeez, freak. Calm down before you kill us all!" Emily warned fearfully and my head shot up as I locked eyes with her, rage clear in my gaze.

"What the hell do you morons not understand? I'm not a bomb or a monster or something I'm still a person!" I shouted at them and but their cruel faces didn't falter. I scoffed at their reactions and turned around before more could tears fall from my eyes.

"Get the hell out of my house. If you ever tell anyone what happened tonight I will personal come for you." I warned in a low, menacing voice, they all cautiously grabbed their belongings and rushed out the door, murmuring fearfully to one another.

I let out a breath as the door shut and I was met with silence again. I knew I couldn't live a normal life, even if I tried. I guess I really am a freak...