Chapter 35 - The Ship Sails

3rd POV

The flight back to Mount Justice was a quiet one, the team members were all too tired to utter any more words, but the bright light of the quickly rising sun made it difficult to fall asleep...well for everyone except for Wally. He was still passed out leaning against Elias's chest, her arms situated around his neck while his looped around her waist.

She took note of the soft rise and fall of his chest against her, feeling so thankful thank they had lasted long enough to get to this moment. Just a day ago, the thought of Wally dying seemed like a farfetched possibility, but after almost witnessing it she suddenly realized their time together was finite.

Which was what prompted her to make her oh so casual confession to the red head just seconds before he passed out on her.

She couldn't help but feel slightly nervous that Wally hadn't realized what she said and she'd have to embarrass herself by confessing all over again when he awakes. The anxious thoughts combined with the blaring morning sun in her eyes kept her awake. But God knows she'd be out for at least a day once they returned to the Mountain.

Her breath hitched slightly when Wally's grip around her increased for a moment, before relaxing again. The unconscious action made her smile softly down at the boy before running her fingers gently through his fiery hair. It was slightly wet from the melted frost, as was the rest of his body, but it didn't bother her one bit.

She found herself thinking about how far the two speedsters had come, from being young training buddies who play flirted, to members of the same team, to this moment where she felt nothing but adoration for her partner. She knew that it was the right time for her to act, after all she couldn't think of another person in the world she could trust in the way she trusted him.

"Hey," a voice pulled her from her thoughts, she looked up from Wally's sleeping face to see Rob looking at the two of them with a tired smile. "How's he doing?" the boy wonder asked and she returned his smile.

"Just peachy, I can only imagine the amazing sleep he's having right now," she replied lightheartedly as she shifted her focus back to Wally, who was softly snoring against her chest.

"Something tells me you two are finally gonna get together after this," Rob commented cheekily and she didn't hesitate to roll her eyes, not denying his claim.

"Oh finally, I've been shipping you two since day one!" Meghan adds on as she picks up on their conversation. "I suppose a life of death situation really brings out the true emotions in people."

The teasing words of her teammates caused her ears to turn red slightly, though she wouldn't let them see that of course. "Yeah, yeah, whatever. Now quiet down, if Wally stirs and ends up drooling on me I'm handing him over to you," she warned Rob halfheartedly who only raised an eyebrow in disbelief with a knowing smirk.

"Oh yeah, I'm sure you would. You'd be stuck giving him heart eyes from a distance," Rob replied sarcastically as he clasped his hands together in a mocking manner, making Meghan giggle at his words.

"Shut up," Elias snapped back with an embarrassed grin, the two only continued to snicker at her lack of a cheeky response. Kaldur seemed to take note of their conversation by now, shifting his seat in the direction of the others to listen better.

"Ah well, you two are totally made for each other," Meghan reassured Elias, who continued pouting while her blush died down.

"I agree, Wally and you look very good together," Kaldur's voice suddenly chimed in and Elias's eyes only widened in both shock and embarrassment. "I'm sure he will treat you well, he admires you quite a bit," the Atlantean continued with a soft smile and the red returned to her cheeks at his words.