Chapter 6- Happy Birthday

After I locked the door I felt myself let out a breath that I didn't know I was holding. My jaw clenched as I tried to maintain my composure and prevent myself from breaking into sobs. I couldn't deny that there was a huge wave of guilt in my mind as I processed what just happened.

I had told off the only friends I had, I threatened them, there was no way they would ever be able to forgive me. Maybe if I had just agreed with them instead of arguing then we could still be friends and just forget about tonight. Move past it at stay normal...

But I couldn't get over the things they said to me.

'Freak.'

"Who am I kidding, what kind of friend would say that about someone." I said to myself and I gave into my sadness and sank to the floor against the door with my head in my hands. The scene replayed over and over again in my head, like a broken record as my breathing became shallow.

The tears I tried so hard to hold back overflowed in my eyes as I allowed myself to break down at last. I quietly sobbed into my hands questioning myself about how I could've prevented this outcome, how I could've avoided this inevitable fate.

I knew that if this is what happened with the people I trusted the most, then there's no way I could make true friends without having control over my power. I'll always mess things up because I'm not strong enough to stop myself.

My self depreciative thoughts were interrupted by cautious footsteps approaching me, I looked up to see my brother with a concerned expression on his face. He slowly came towards me and when I nodded to him that it was ok for him to approach me, he sat down beside me on the floor.

We sat in silence together for a few minutes, neither of us knowing what to say. After another moment, Eli broke the silence with an attempt at a reassuring comment.

"You know that those girls were jerks anyways, you're too cool for them," He said simply, trying to make me feel better but I shot gave him a short glare and he put his hands up in defence.

"Just don't say anything. Please." I requested to him as nice as I could but I knew that it came out a bit more rude then I had planned. With a sigh, I stood up from the floor.

"Now that they know about my abilities, I can only hope they listen to my threat. Who knows how the whole school will react if they find out..." I mumbled in a monotonous voice, he offered me a sympathetic look. I quietly to the washroom so that I could rid myself of my tear stained eyes and Eli followed closely behind.

"Well I think that you will be alrig-."

"You don't know that! I can't even think of a way that this will turn out alright! So just...stop," I snapped at him and he backed up a little. A hurt look flashed onto his face and I quickly ran up to my room.

I sank into my pillow and exhaled a shaky breath, stray tears still leaking from the corners of my eyes onto the pillow. I slowly turned over on my bed and stared at the ceiling in self pity.

Why did my life have to take such a turn for the worse?

I continued thinking of every little thing I could've done to stop myself from getting to this point, maybe I could've not had cake, or we could've just watched movies...maybe if I had been less careless in that lab. My thoughts were abruptly disturbed by the sound of the door slowly creaking open.

"Leave me alone, Eli." I mumbled still staring at the ceiling, of course being the stubborn kid he is, he walked into my room and shut the door behind him.

"Listen Elias, you know that I do love you and I don't want to see you hurt so much, right?" he said as he sat on my bed and laid down beside me so we were both staring up at the ceiling.

"I find that a little bit hard to believe since the first time that something like this happened it was because of you," I told him sarcastically and I practically felt him cringe beside me at my harsh words.

"I know, I know but that was before, I am much more mature now though." He said as he sat up, slightly puffing his chest up while trying to defend himself.

"That only happened a year ago smart guy, you are basically still the same," I mumble as I roll my eyes at him and he pouts in response.

"Alright but for a minute can you pretend that I am mature and please just listen to what I have to say," he practically begged me.

"...yeah I guess. You have my permission to speak." I said with an amused tone.

"Okay so recently it may have been a long shot but I tried researching Flash like you do and I think I was actually able to contact him," he told me and I swear that I saw his eyes light up for a second.

"Well you do have a gift in invading people privacy," I replied jokingly and he gave me a very serious look.

"I knew that if I showed you the email he sent me then you would just think that I wrote it and that I was trying to prank you so..." He said as he reached into his pocket to reveal a slightly disheveled letter in his hand.

"This came in the mail today, it's my birthday present to you." He said softly smiling while he handed me the letter. I took a minute to examine the letter to see if it were for real. it had our address written on the back with a postal stamp on the corner. Right in the middle in bold red ink it said my name.

I looked at my brother in disbelief, still refusing to believe that he could have possibly gotten a response back from The Flash himself. He pouted and signaled for me to open it so I reluctantly tore open the envelope and pulled out the letter.

'Dear, Elias Burner,

I've heard you've developed a super power similar to mine and I just wanted to tell you that it is totally cool and nothing you should be ashamed of. But I have also been told that you are having a semi hard time dealing with it so I would like to invite you to come to Central City to train with me. I'll give you a place to stay and you can train alongside my other prodigy, I promise it'll be fun!

On a more serious note I can teach you how to use and control your super speed so you can live a little easier, and when you are ready hopefully I can have you join the League with the my other prodigy.

If you would like to accept this invitation, contact me and we can organize something.

Sincerely, Barry Allen'

I looked up at my brother with wide eyes and he smile softly at me.

"Is this for real?" I ask quietly and he nods eagerly. "How can you be sure, though?"

"I told you things will be alright, just trust me on this," he replies softly and I turn my attention back to the letter to see a phone number was scribbled down on the bottom. I mean, I don't have anything to lose, it's worth a shot.

With a deep breath I pull out my phone and slowly dial the number. I hesitate a moment and look my brother in the eyes nervously one last time pushing call. The phone rang a few times before somebody picked up.

"Hello?" A man asked on the other end.

"Um...hi, is this Barry? Barry Allen?" I ask nervously.

"Yes it is. Who is this?" My jaw immediately drops, this was the real thing.

"...my name is Elias Burner," I reply and I hear him gasp on the other end.

"Elias, I've been waiting for your response. We've got a lot to discuss..."