Chapter 33 - 'Venting'

Elias's POV

I led the way as Superboy and I crawled through the vents, they were pretty cramped but open enough for us to have space to maneuver. We followed the single path for quite a while before a second and third route appeared in front of us. For a moment I looked between the different directions, not sure which one we were supposed to take.

'Yo, Rob. How are we supposed to know what directions we're supposed to go now?' I asked through the mind link as Superboy and I waited in the silent vents.

'Use your holo-watch, I've already sent you the vent layout,' he replied simply and my face scrunched up in confusion.

'Holo-watch? What? There's no watch on my gear,' I complained as I scanned my arms, but there were only metal wrist guards.

'Oh my bad, forgot to tell you. There should be a watch in your utility belt, it came with the hacking equipment,' he said and I quickly brought my hand to my utility belt compartments, and what did I find amongst the hacking gear? A black wrist band.

'Would've been great to know before hand, but thanks,' I reply half sarcastically as I secure the band around my wrist guard. Once I pressed my fingers against the surface of the watch, a hologram of a screen projected into the air. A giddy smile worked its way onto my face at the high tech.

Sure enough there was a file containing the vent and area layout, and I was able to see the location of a few nearby rooms. Now all that was left to do was some trial and error testing.

"Alright, each vent way leads to a different room. We'll have to check each one. Let's head right first," I explained to Superboy while turning to show him the map. He nodded before responding.

"Lead the way," he spoke in his usual gruff voice and I was quick to crawl down the path to the right. A light peeked out from the end of the vent, and soon we were at the exit leading to a room. It was large and there were plenty of metal tables and cabinets, and much to our luck there was nobody inside.

"It's empty, but I didn't really consider how we're supposed to open the vent," I whisper to Superboy, who smirks slightly before crawling past me to the vent. Without a word, he pushes the vent harshly with his hand, causing it to fly off and land on the floor with a metal clang.

"Like that," he says proudly and I let out a chuckle at his behaviour, oh yeah we could totally get along. He climbs out of the vent and offers me a hand to help me out too, which I take with a mumble of thanks.

I used my watch to project some light into the room, from what I could see there was no weapon or even equipment other than the tables. I huffed in frustration as we continued looking around the room for any useful information, my disappointment was only furthered when Superboy pulled open one of the standing metal storage compartments to reveal it was in fact a refrigerator.

"Seriously. Is this the lunch room?" I whisper yell as I speed walk over to Superboy to peer into the fridge. A groan annoyance slipped past my lips at the sight of Tupperware, sandwiches, and some soon to be expired milk. I squinted my eyes as I peered in further, "damn, and they don't even have anything good."

'First room on the upper West side is clear. I think Supey and I found the kitchen,' I inform the others and Superboy closes the door and crosses his arms.

'Damn, lucky! They got anything good?' Wally's voice asks lightheartedly and I shake my head at his words with a grin.

'Just some leftovers and poorly made sandwiches, but I'm sure you'd still enjoy it,' I tease, I didn't need to be a mind reader to know that Wally was probably pouting in offence or rolling his eyes.