Chapter 7 - Opportunity

After I contacted Barry, everything changed yet again. We talked over several days to determine the circumstances of my situation until we came to an agreement. I would move to Central City and live with Barry as my guardian for the time being. I'd attend school there while simultaneously training under him as his sidekick.

It was exhilarating to think that my dream to work with heroes would finally come true, and the idea that I would have the chance to learn how to control my powers was even more exciting. Of course, before I could go I knew I needed to convince my parents.

My parents were both a little hesitant to let me leave home at such a young age, but after several calls with Barry and a lot of begging, they agreed to let me move. For the next couple of weeks I packed and prepared my legal documents to move to Central City with Barry.

Now, I was preparing to leave. I already had a few of my bags shipped to his house, all that was left was a small carry on luggage full of emergency stuff, and a backpack.

When my departure came a lot of tears were shed, they were heartbroken that I would be away for them for so long, but they knew it was for the best. I thanked my parents for allowing me to go and I personally thanked my brother for going the extra mile to help me.

With my final goodbyes, I got into the cab that my dad called as I watched my family disappear from my sight.

I settled into the taxi and pulled out my phone to see a text notification from Barry. He and I had been talking lots since my birthday in order to plan our meet up, so it wasn't unusual for me to text him.

Barry

Hey

Are you on your way to the airport?

Me

yessir

my flight should land in central city about 5 hours from now

Barry

Alright

We'll meet you at the airport.

Have a safe flight

Me

we?

is your other prodigy coming?

you didn't tell me i'd have to meet him today!

Barry

Surprise :)

See you soon!

I put my phone away as I rolled my eyes at his message. I hadn't known him for long, but I have already adapted to his playful demeanor. The taxi ride to the airport was mostly silent, which I was thankful for, I'm not sure how I would explain the circumstances of my travel on the spot.

We arrived at the airport a bit later than I intended and I had to quickly run through the airport. Thankfully, security and bag check were quick, but I still had to bolt to my gate. I was almost late, but I was lucky enough to be the last person to board and I took my seat in the back of the plane.

The flight was only a couple hours (I slept through most of it), and I couldn't wait to get off of the plane. I practically skipped off the plane and through the airport.

I quickly felt a huge feeling of joy rush through me as I did a little happy dance on the spot, but the feeling was soon replaced with the feeling of my bladder about to explode. I hadn't gone to the washroom the whole flight cause I was sleeping, but now it was hitting me like a brick wall as I ran to the washroom.

When I was done I quickly texted Barry telling him that I was at the airport and that I survived the flight and he texted back telling me where they were waiting.

I continued skipping my way through the airport until I arrived at the pick up area, I looked around the airport in awe considering I had never been to Central City before.

When I got to the exit I instantly knew that it was going to be hard to find Barry cause there were like a million other people holding out signs with people names on them. I groaned in disappointment, but I immediately stopped when I saw a gigantic pink sign with my name on it. It was covered in glitter and Barry was holding it while carelessly shouting my name into the crowd of people at the airport.

I mentally faced palmed myself at the sight of him basically dancing around with a pink sign yelling my name, and I suddenly felt very embarrassed to be associating with him.

"Hi I'm here! You can stop embarrassing yourself with that sign now!" I told him as I jogged over to him and he smiled looking down at me.

"Well nice to meet you too." He said sarcastically and I put my hand out for a handshake but he used it to pull me into a tight hug, I wheezed at the pressure.

I gasped for air when he released me from the embrace. My attention was quickly caught by a red head about my age staring at me and I looked at Barry in question.

"Um is this your other prodigy?" I asked him while signalling quietly to the red head.

"Oh yeah, that he is!" Barry almost shouted as he put his arm around the kid and I instantly blushed in embarrassment as I felt the pressure of making a good first impression on my new partner essentially.

"Hey weirdo introduce yourself!" he said at the boy pushing him towards me and I squeaked as he accidentally bumped into me.

"Sup, Wally West." he said offering out his hand for a shake with a lopsided smile.

"Elias Burner." I replied to him as I shook his hand with a soft smile.

"See look the two of you are gonna get along just great!" Barry said patting Wally on the back really hard and he winced a little.

"Yeah thanks "dad"." Wally said sarcastically as he rolled his eyes at Barry and I was a little bit shocked.

"Is Barry your dad? He didn't seem like the type to have a kid." I say quietly and Wally's eyes widened a little bit.

"What no! He's my uncle. He's dating my aunt." he said while crossing his arms, I felt embarrassed at my oblivious assumption and immediately worried that Wally doesn't like me already.

"Yeah but I might as well be his dad with the amount I lecture him." Barry says while elbowing Wally and he punches Barry in the arm.

"Heh good to know, I guess." I said awkwardly as I shrugged.

"Well I think we should get going now if we are going to get any training done today." Barry said cheerfully and Wally groaned at the word training.

"Awe man more training seriously? I thought we were just picking up the new girl and welcoming her or whatever," Wally complained as he threw his hands in the air and I laughed. He gaze shifted to me at the sound of my laugh and I immediately quieted down out of embarrassment.

"Yes Wally more training, but don't worry, I'll treat you guys to lunch before we start," Barry said and Wally's eyes quickly lit up.

"Alright training! Let's go," Wally shouts enthusiastically as he rushes out the door to leave the airport with me and Barry quickly following him out.

I was already liking the dynamic of our little trio, I couldn't help but feel optimistic about the upcoming future.