Chapter 38 - First Day of School

Hyper/Elias's POV

At around one in the morning, we returned to the Mountain. Several of the League members were present to greet us. Along with our usual three, Green Arrow and Martian Manhunter were there. We gave yet another rundown of our mission, hinting at the "complications" (Superboy's tantrums) that somewhat hindered our mission plan. Surprisingly, Batman praised us for adapting to complications, saying it surprised the League, in a good way.

"The whole League?" Superboy questioned, and I put two and two together that he was upset about Superman.

"Eventually, yes. Kryptonians, as you know, tend to have thick skulls," Batman replied and I had to physically restrain myself from laughing out loud at his subtle jab towards the Man of Steel. His words brought a satisfied smile to Superboy's face. After finishing our run down and establishing that Professor Ivo would become a League problem, the League members reminded us that there's no shame in asking for assistance.

This prompted Rob to frown and bring something up, "we wouldn't even get the chance to ask. Look familiar?" he asked as he pulled out the arrow that had saved me from becoming Flat Stanley. "You were following us, you still don't trust we can handle things on our own," he pointed out as Green Arrow examined the arrow, pulling out one of his own for comparison. Surprisingly, the metal arrowhead on the arrow we handed him didn't match his own.

"Wait, if it's not yours then that means-" Rob started and Wally finished with an eager tone.

"Speedy!" his excitement prompted Kaldur and Rob to grin.

"He's got our backs," Kaldur announced and I couldn't help but raise an eyebrow, I was skeptical that Speedy would come help us after giving a rather harsh rejection to our request for him to join the team. Plus, I honestly feel like he would have just let me die.

Wally ran over to Green Arrow, snatching "Speedy's" arrow from his hand, "souvenir!" he cheers while twirling the arrow in his hands and I shake my head at his childlike excitement.

"That will be all for today, good work. Now go get some rest," Batman commanded and we nodded, all of us heading home in our separate directions...well except for Superboy. I made note of him approaching Canary, and I smiled slightly to myself when I saw him ask Canary to help him. Look at the character development, our little clone is growing so fast.

"El!" I heard a voice call for my attention, Wally was running up to me, having just returned from putting away his souvenir. "You start school tomorrow, right?" his question immediately made my shoulders slouch in disappointment as I let out a groan.

"Shit...I forgot about that, I haven't even finished unpacking," I groan as I lean into him with a lazy embrace around his neck, his arms wrapping around my waist to support my weight.

"Hey, don't be too sad. At least you'll get to see me for a whole day," he reminds me in such a way that I could practically hear his cheeky grin from his tone.

"Psh, that's saying we have all the same classes," I point out as I pull away from him, his happy grin immediately droops into a frown. "Don't worry, I'll make sure to say hi to you between periods." I hum as I flick his nose and he smiles again. Suddenly, his grip around my waist tightens and he turns with me still in his arms, dipping me low in a ballroom dancelike fashion. I stared up at him with wide eyes from the suddenness of his movements.

He leans in a little closer to where I thought he was going to kiss me, I could feel his breath fanning my face as he laughed at my flustered expression before meeting my gaze. "I'll be holding you to that promise, babe," he mumbles smoothly with a wink and I regain my composure. I quickly cover my flustered face with a smirk and bring one of my hands down from his neck to stroke his cheek.