Chapter 42 - Cheap Pizza

3rd POV

The three speedsters stood in the training room at the Mountain, Elias and Wally already sweating from the short warmup Barry had instructed them to complete as soon as they arrived in uniform.

"Alright, we're practicing molecular vibration again," the second the words left Barry's lips a string of groans and complains flooded from the two young heroes. "Relax, it'll be easier than last time."

Barry's words of reassurance did little to ease their disappointment and Wally quickly chimed in, "last time I got my arm stuck in a tree, you know how many splinters I had to pull out of my hand?!" He gestured to his hand for emphasis and Barry rolled his eyes at the boy's dramatic tone.

"Which is exactly why we're training here instead of the usual spot," Barry quickly explained. "Engage Flash training arrangement." As his voice echoed through the room, two small pillars materialized above the training pad. "These holograms are solid, so you'll still be able to phase through them. Just without the fear of getting stuck since they can just dematerialize."

The two teens simultaneously tested Barry's words, each pressing a hand to the surface of the pillars to see if they would phase through. Surely enough, nothing happened. Slightly more at ease with their training arrangements, the disappointed frowns on their faces softened.

"Alright," Elias hummed, "I can work with this." Wally nodded in agreement since he's always quick to follow her lead. Barry's eyes lit up slightly at the approval of his students and he placed his hands on his hips before continuing.

"Now I know it's been a little while since we've practiced. Do you guys kind of remember how molecular vibration works?" Barry asked the two, both of them nod slowly before Wally chimes in.

"Yeah, Elias did it during that one mission we had the other week. Y'know the one where I almost died," Wally pointed out rather proudly. "She phased through a glass cage." Elias tried to protest his words, but Barry cut her off.

"What?! You never told me you did that!" Barry complained like a parent, "Look at my student go! You're cool too I guess Wally," he continued jokingly and Wally narrowed his eyes in offense.

"It was a one time thing, I still can't do it consistently," Elias explained in attempt to redirect the conversation.

Barry shrugged at her words, not seeming to shocked. "I suppose that makes sense, we can usually unlock our full potential in extreme circumstances. Wally almost dying must have been that trigger for you." Elias could practically feel the smug smirk growing on Wally's face as soon as the words left Barry's lips, and she quickly grabbed his shoulder to silence him.

"Whatever, let's just get this training over with already," Elias pointed out in exasperation. Soon, the two teens were left practicing vibrating their hands while Barry watched and critiqued them (after leaving for shortly to grab snacks for himself).

After about half an hour of practicing phasing, Elias stepped away from the pillar before her. She wiped the sweat coating her face onto her forearm and took a breath. She noticed that Wally was still hyper-focused on practicing, seeming rather frustrated with his shortcomings. But it wasn't like Elias had been all that successful today either. She was still left only being able to inconsistently vibrate her right arm.

She wondered how the hell she was able to phase her whole body through the glass when she could barely manage an arm now, then she recalled the sensation of time slowing down during that mission. The familiar occurrence she'd realized occurred often during urgent situations. With this in mind, she called Barry over from his snack break.

"Hey Barry, I got a question," she called out. He momentarily stopped chewing the sandwich he hand in his mouth before forcefully swallowing it and speeding over to Elias's side. He clearly didn't chew enough because he quickly broke out into a coughing fit as he choked on his food slightly. Elias watched unamused as he coughed the sandwich chunk from his throat. His coughing fit shortly died down and with a hand on his chest, he tried to catch his breath.