Chapter 40 - Outfiltrated

Hyper/Elias's POV

We relocated to a quiet building near the ocean, with Wally, Artemis and I guarding Dr. Roquette inside while Kaldur covered the perimeters. As expected, Wally and Artemis were still having a silent argument, not yet cooled off from their little dispute earlier on. They glared daggers at one another through not so subtle side glances, an idiot could sense the aggression they had towards one another.

"Stop it, both of you!" Kaldur's voice commands through the mind link, prompting both of them to act innocent as if they weren't planning each other's death moments ago. "I can hear you glaring." he continues. They momentarily drop the attitude before gradually resuming their glaring contest. I was about fed up with the tension seeing as I was caught up in the middle of it.

"Okay, you two seriously need to chill. You're gonna burst a blood vessel from all this glaring," I say out loud as I look at the both of them. I felt like I was dealing with two children having an argument, especially with the way they both huffed in irritation at my words. "How are we supposed to beat a bunch of Shadow assassins when you can't even get along?" I ask but they both remain silent. I shake my head with a sigh, deciding not to waste anymore energy on their feud.

"Aqualad, you find anything yet?" I ask through the mind link, but I don't receive any response. Last time I was met with silence, Wally was passed out in a swimming pool so I was quickly alert. "Aqualad?" I ask again but it's still quiet. "I think we've got company," I tell the others and almost instantly, the door opens up to reveal a person decked out in a purple suit.

Wally quickly jumps down from the cabinet he was sitting on and instantly throws a kick at the attacker, only for them to leap onto the ceiling and stick there. The spider like assassin shot some strange substance Wally's way, but he was able to narrowly avoid it and hurl a trash can back at him. Artemis and I prepare to jump in and help until a large man with a hook for a hand suddenly burst in from the roof behind us.

The large man didn't hesitate to launch his massive metal hook in Artemis's direction, I trusted Wally could handle the spider on his own so I opted to team with Artemis against the hook man. Artemis launches arrows to corner him and I bolt over to see if I can do some damage on him. "Don't stop working!" she commands Roquette as she continues firing a barrage of arrows. I pull the Escrima sticks from my back and work on finding the man's weakness as we wait for the cat lady to show up.

"Martian's here. It's now or never," a voice shouts from the ceiling, I look up to see the cat mask assassin crouched in a windowsill with a crossbow in her hands, clearly aiming for Roquette. With all of the attackers in one place, we knew we had the upper hand. I smiled to myself as cat lady fell for our trap and chased after "Dr. Roquette" when she ran to escape.

Soon enough, Roquette was pinned to the floor, with cat lady raising a sai above her head with intentions to stab her. In a satisfying reveal, Roquette twisted her head around backwards as her skin turned bright green, revealing Meghan herself as the scientist. Meghan smirked up at her victoriously as the assasin jumped to her feet in realization, "we've been duped!" She yells to the other assassins and I snicker.

"No shit Sherlock," I point out sarcastically and she narrows her eyes at me behind her mask.

Meghan shifts out of her disguise back into her normal appearance and hovers in the air above the cat assassin. "You'll never find doctor Roquette!" She tells the woman confidently, though her words seem to have little effect on the assassin's determination.

"Never is such a long time...Pursuing target, keep em busy!" She hums to her little buddies before bolting out the door. The other two attackers quickly continue their pursuit on us as the action resumes. I see Artemis glare at the assassin as she escapes, not hesitating to chase after her.