Chapter 12

When Finley came back to the Firehouse that evening, Kelly took him to his office. "What do you think if we both do a little road trip for a few days?" Kelly asked. "How so?" Finley asked. "A lot happened in the last few months and I thought it would be good for us to spend some time together, clear our heads and recharge our batteries" Kelly said. "What about work?" Finley asked. "I've already spoken to Chief Boden; I've taken the next 3 shifts off" Kelly smiled. "Where you thinking?" Finley asked. "What do you think about New York City?" Kelly asked. "That would be awesome, but I've never been outside of Chicago" Finley said. "Well, now's your chance, then" "Mom, Dad, Oliver, Cameron, Evan, Elena and Samantha went to New York a few years ago and they left me with neighbors, they never took me with them when they went on road trips for the weekend or on vacation" Finley said and tears filling his eyes. Kelly wiped the tears from his face and hugged him. "Hey, it's okay, I already booked the hotel and flight, our flight is tomorrow evening." Kelly smiled, kissed his cheek and hugged him. At around 8 p.m., Finley was picked up by Jay and taken home. "Have fun in New York and that you take good care of Kelly." Cruz laughed and had to take a friendly nudge from his boss. "Did I miss something?" Jay asked, when Finley got in the car. "Why?" Finley asked. "New York?" Jay asked. "We're going to New York for a couple of days tomorrow evening, Kelly has taken time off" Finley said. "Right Kelly said something, it will be good for both of you after everything that happened." Jay smiled. "That's what Kelly said, just I'm a little scared too," Finley said. "Why?" Jay asked. "Well, I've never been outside of Chicago and so I've never flown, what if I do something wrong?" Finley asked. "You know what, we'll go home now, order something from the Chinese restaurant and then we'll show you how it works at an airport, okay." Jay said. Finley nodded. "Can you help me with packing too?" "Whatever you need, we're here" Jay smiled.