Chapter 32

"What do we have?" Connor asked when the paramedics came to the emergency room. "10-year-old boy inhaled a lot of smoke, we had to reanimate him." the paramedic explained. "Oh no, Fin, Maggie beep Dr. Marcel on." Connor said and went with the paramedics to Baghdad 2. "What do we have here?" Dr. Marcel asked when he came into the room a few seconds later. "Finley Severide, 10-years-old, he got a lot of smoke in his lungs." Connor said and left Dr. Marcel then the further treatment. In the meantime, Stella, Sylvie and Matt have also joined them. "What happened?" Matt asked. "Brittany told us that her boyfriend Roger was held Finley in a factory, when we got there, the whole building was covered in black smoke." Roman explained. "And Fin?" Sylvie asked. "He had to be reanimated, Dr. Marcel is treating on him now, but it's not looking good, at the moment." Connor said. When Dr. Marcel came into the waiting room a few minutes later, everyone stood up and wanted to know how's Finley doing. "We had to put Fin on the breathing machine so his lungs could recover, but I'm sorry, but I have to say, don't get your hopes up too high, his condition is very critical." Crockett said. "Can I see him?" Kelly asked, tears rolling down his face. "Yes of course, come with me." Crockett said and Kelly followed him. Before Kelly entered the room, he took a deep breath. "If you need anything, let me know." Dr. Marcel said and left Kelly alone with his brother. Finley was in bed surrounded by hoses and equipment. Kelly took a chair and sat next to him by the bed. "Hey buddy, you probably won't hear me, but I want you to know that I'm here, I'll always be there no matter what." Kelly said, taking Finley's hand and kissed his forehead. The others were still in the waiting room when Crockett joined them. "I haven't known the little one that long, but even I have grown very fond of him." Crockett said. "How is he really doing?" Stella asked. Dr. Marcel bowed his head. "His lungs are not looking very good; he probably will need a transplant if he can survive the night." Crockett said. "How's Kelly doing?" Sylvie asked. Crockett shrugged his shoulders. "Can I see him for a minute?" Stella asked. "Yes of course, come on." Crockett said and lead her to Finley's room. "Hey, how is he?" Stella asked. Kelly shrugged his shoulders and wiped the tears from his face. "How are you?" Stella asked. "I'm scared." Kelly said, fighting back his tears. "I know, we all have them, come here." Stella said and hugged him. "Do you mind if I stay here today, I just want to be with Fin." Kelly asked. "No, of course not, he needs you right now." Stella smiled and kissed him. "Thanks." Kelly smiled. "Of course, I'll be back tomorrow." Stella said and kissed Finley's forehead before she left the room. Kelly said in the chair and soon fall asleep. When Stella came into the room the next morning, Kelly was still asleep. She took a chair and sat down next to Finley on the bed. "How long have you been there?" Kelly asked when he woke up. "Good morning, I just got here and didn't want to wake you up." Stella said. At that moment, Dr. Marcel came into the room. "Good morning, I was just looking at the night shifts report, can we talk for a minute?" Dr. Marcel asked. Kelly and Stella went outside with him. "I'll be honest with you, it's a huge miracle that Finley got through the night well, but his lungs are making me worried, he needs a transplant, we've already put him on the list." Dr. Marcel explained. "How long can he survive with his current lungs?" Kelly asked. Crockett took a deep breath. "Any second could be he's last, but I promise, we do what we can." Crockett said and let them with Finley alone. "Hey, you know Fin is a fighter, he's going to be fine." Stella tried to give Kelly courage. Kelly nodded and sat down by the bed. "By the way, Chief Boden called yesterday, you can take the day off tomorrow." Stella said. Then Will came into the room. "Hey, Crockett just told me everything, how are you?" Will asked. "Not really good, I'm scared of losing him...again." Kelly said. Will took out a small plastic bag and handed it to Kelly. "Here, these were the things Fin had in his pockets, I thought maybe you want them." Will said. Inside the bag was a photo of Finley and Kelly on their vacation in New York, a team photo and a necklace, Kelly never seen before and a bracelet Kelly gave him a few weeks ago.