Chapter 17

When Finley got to school this morning, his friends were already there. "Where's Aaron?" Finley asked. "I don't know, we haven't seen him yet." Darius said. "Maybe he overslept, wouldn't be the first time." Oakley laughed and went into the school building with her friends. When the doorbell rang for class to start, the school principal came into the classroom with a woman. "May I have your attention please, this is Mrs. Hope Jacquinot, she will be your new teacher from today." the school principal said. "Mr. Andres, where is Mrs. Luna?" Lucas asked. "Mrs. Luna has taken a new job in Oakland and your classmate Aaron has moved to Tampa with his family." Mr. Andres said. Finley and his friends looked at each other. "So, now I wish you a good start for the school year." Mr. Andres said. But just as he was about to leave, a mother and her son came through the door. "Sorry for the delay, we're just moved to Chicago." the woman said. "Ah, you must be Mrs. Murphy and you are Cole, welcome to our school, I am Mr. Andres, the principal, you can take a seat at the empty table between Finley and Lucas." Mr. Andres said. Then he left the class. Finley and his friends sat in the canteen for lunch and talked about what they did over the summer. "Did you hear about the Navy Pier explosion?" Oakley asked. Finley and Darius looked at each other. "More then we wanted." Darius said. "What do you mean?" Kira asked. "Well, I'll put it this way, Aaron, Darius and I were there when it happened." Finley said. "WAIT WHAT?" Kyle asked, horrified. "Are you guys okay?" Phoenix asked. "Would we be here if not?" Darius smiled. "Yeah, we're fine, I broke my wrist, but otherwise we got away with a few scratches." Finley said. "Another subject, did Aaron tell you anything about moving away?" Sydney asked. The others shook their heads. "It was probably a spontaneous action." Lucas said. After school Finley went home with Pearl. "I'm home, Kelly can Pearl stay here until her parents come home?" Finley asked. "Sure, hey Pearl." Kelly greeted. "How was your first day of school in fourth grade?" Matt asked. "I see it this way, the day can't get any worse." Finley said and wanted to go upstairs to his room with Pearl when a woman came out of the bathroom. "May I introduce, this is Brittany Baker, my ex-wife." Kelly said. "I'm sorry, your what?" Finley asked, disbelief. "That was a while ago, we met in Las Vegas and then got married straight away." Kelly said. "But that was before I was born, right?" Finley asked. "Yeah, that was about 13 or 14 years ago." Kelly smiled. "What is your relationship with Kelly?" Brittany asked suspiciously. "I'm his brother." Finley said and Brittany eyed him. Instead of going to his room, Finley and Pearl sat at the kitchen table and did their homework. When Pearl was picked up by her mother 2 hours later, a boy came through the door and sat down on the couch. "Um, do I need to know anything else?" Finley asked confused. "This is Tyler, my son." Brittany said.