Chapter 22

A few days later, Finley felt better. When he came down for breakfast, the adults were watching the news on TV. "Good morning." Finley said. "Good morning, how are you feeling?" Kelly asked. "Much better now, what are you watching?" Finley asked. "There is a shooting in the city center, Adam, Jay and Kim already had to go." Stella said. "Yes, just like Connor, Will and Natalie, the first injuries came two hours ago and the night shift needs support." Sylvie said. "How do I get to school now?" Finley asked. "Not at all." Matt said. Finley looked over to his brother. "Your teacher called; you're going to take online classes today." Kelly explained. "Wait, Mrs. Jacquinot, or rather, your friend Hope called to say that class will be online today?" Finley asked in surprise. "Yes, why?" Sylvie asked. "Because Mr. Andres does it normally and we get an email on our homeschooling laptop, but I didn't get any mail." Finley explained. "Should I call the principal?" Kelly asked and Finley nodded. When Kelly spoke to the principal, he was as surprised as Finley. "You're right, Mr. Andres informed the students by email, but Hope really wanted to tell you personally, that's why you didn't receive a mail." Kelly said. Finley rolled his eyes and sat at the kitchen table. "Sylvie, something is wrong with your friend." Finley said. "What do you mean?" Sylvie asked. "Well, I think she only took this teaching job so she could move back to Chicago and since she knew I was one of her students, she kept asking me with questions about you." Finley said.

Since Finley's class is online today, Kelly has decided that Finley can stay at the Firehouse all day so he doesn't have to be alone in this situation. When they arrived at the station, they first sat down with the others and had breakfast. Afterwards, Finley went to Kelly's office, sat on the bed and started his online class. When Kelly came into his office to see if Finley needed help, Finley was in a video conference with his class. Kelly sat at his desk and did some paperwork until Finley finished. "Hey, what's up?" Finley asked. "We have to go to downtown and help the police and the FBI with the evacuation, the ladies stay here, if you need help with something, you can go to them or you wait until I come back." Kelly said. "They said there were several bomb threats all over Chicago and they didn't know which ones were real and which are fake." Finley said in a frightened voice. "Hey, don't worry, we'll just help with the evacuation and then I'm right back." Kelly tried to calm him down. Finley nodded and tried to hold back his tears. "Hey, you won't get rid of me that fast." Kelly smiled and kissed his forehead. Finley smiled and hugged Kelly. "I love you." Finley said, softly. "I love you, too." Kelly said and left the office.