Chapter 20

When Finley was about to leave class after school, Hope held him back. "Um Finley, can you wait for a minute?" Hope asked. "Yeah sure." Finley said confused. When everyone had left the classroom, Hope closed the door and stood next to Finley. "When I saw your emergency contact, I was a little confused." Hope said. "Why is something wrong?" Finley asked. "Well, I know Kelly Severide, I worked at 51 for a few months." Hope said. "I know they told me about it." Finley said. "But as far as I know, Kelly has no children and he's Single." Hope asked. "Yes and No." Finley said. Hope eyed him. "I'm not his sum, I'm his brother and he's not Single either, Stella is his girlfriend." Finley explained. "Okay, well that's all I wanted to know, you can go now." Hope said. Finley grabbed his school bag and left the room. Outside his friends were waiting for him. "What did she want?" Kira asked. "Somehow, I have the feeling that this can be a long school year, but let's go we're going to be late for training." Finley said and went to the training area.

When Kelly tried to wake up Finley the next morning, he didn't look good at all. "Hey, you don't look good at all." Kelly said, sitting on the edge of the bed. "I have a stomach ache and I feel sick." Finley said in a sickly voice. Kelly touched gently Finley's forehead. "You're really glowing." Kelly said and left the room for a second. "Connor, you have a minute and bring the thermometer with you." Kelly called over the banister. When Connor came into the room a few seconds later, Finley just had to throw up. Connor briefly took Finley's temperature. Meanwhile, Sylvie and Matt have joined them. "Hey, what about him?" Sylvie asked. "He has a high fever and has thrown up twice." Connor said. "Shall I ask Cindy, if she can take him?" Matt asked. "Maybe it's the best." Kelly said. Matt called the Herrmann's. "I want to stay with you." Finley said crying. "You know what, you go to Cindy today and I'll pick you up after shift and take care of you while I have my days off, okay." Kelly smiled. Finley nodded. "Kelly, Cindy agreed, you can bring him to her, we say you'll come later." Matt said. "Thanks, come on I'll help you." Kelly said, helping Finley to get ready. Kelly brought Finley to Cindy and then drove to the station. The others were already in the conference room when Kelly joined them. "You're late, Lieutenant." Deputy Chief Gorsch said, giving him a stem look. "I'm sorry, but my little brother is sick and I had to take him to the babysitter." Kelly explained and looked for help at his chief who was standing at the window. "Well, then we can start, so, as you have probably noticed, I'll be in charge of this shift today because the Commissioner wants it that way." Gorsch said. "Are we allowed to ask why?" Borrelli asked. "As I said, the Commissioner wants it that way, everything else is none of your business and now you can step away." Gorsch said. "Hey, is everything good with Finley?" Foster asked. "Not really, he has a high fever and thrown up twice this morning." Kelly said. "Probably an upset stomach, at Kenny's school a few students are sick too and Kenny had it 2 weeks ago." Herrmann said. Kelly shrugged. "What's up with Gorsch, the last time he was in charge during shift he was completely overwhelmed." Kelly said. "We ask ourselves that too, we have the feeling the whole thing has something to do with the incident with this journalist Fleming." Gallo said. "That happened 6 months ago, why are they coming up with it now?" Kelly asked. His colleagues shrugged. "I can only tell you one thing, that will be a long 24-hour shift." Cruz said and sat next to Otis at the table. Just as they were done with their breakfast, the first call came in. "Truck 81, Squad 3, Engine 51, Ambulance 61, Battalion 25, Hotel fire, 323 E Wacker Dr." came the voice from the speakers. The firefighters put on their gear and jumped into their vehicles. When they arrived at the scene, the guest fled the hotel and onto the street. "61, set up a first aid station, everyone else evacuate the building." Gorsch said as he got out of his car. "Shouldn't we split up better, it would be quicker." Matt suggested. "Yes, exactly, that's what I meant to divide up into teams and evacuate the building." Gorsch said. The others looked at him for a second and then Matt took the lead. "Squad, you take the floors above the fire, Truck 81, we take over the fire floors, Herrmann, you set up the water supply." Matt said. Everyone nodded and went to work, while Gorsch looked angrily after them. Squad 3 went to the top floor and worked their way down. "Fire Department, call out!" they called, looking into each room.