Chapter 42

"Finley, there you are, where have you been, we were worried about you." Kim said when Finley came through the door. "I was in Med." Finley said in a shaky voice. "In Med, is everything okay, are you injured?" Natalie asked. "No, I'm not hurt... at least not physically." Finley said, bowing his head. Adam knelt down to Finley. "Look at me, what's going on?" Adam asked, smiling at him. Finley looked at Adam, wiped the tears from his face, but started to cry. "Hey, all right, come here." Adam said and hugged him. "Will you tell us what's wrong with you?" Connor asked and smiled. "Can you wait for the others to come home; I'd like to tell you all." Finley sobbed. "Yes of course." Jay smiled and kissed his forehead. "Okay, what do you want to do tonight, board games or watching a movie?" Kim asked. "I wanted to go to bed early, I'm not feeling good." Finley said. Will gently touched Finley's forehead. "I'll get the thermometer." Natalie said and went to the bathroom. Adam picked up Finley and laid him in Kelly and Stella's bed. "He has a slight fever." Natalie said. "I'll text Kelly and let him know." Jay said and left the room. "You're staying home tomorrow." Natalie smiled and covered Finley. Finley snuggled into the blanket and Natalie turned off the lights. "Can you leave the door a bit open?" Finley asked. "Sure, good night, sleep well." Natalie smiled. "Nat." Finley called. "Yes?" Natalie asked. "I love you guys." Finley smiled. "We love you too." Natalie smiled. Then Finley turned and fell asleep. When Kelly, Stella, Sylvie and Matt got home the next morning, Finley was still asleep. "We laid him in your bed." Will said. Kelly pushed the door to the room and saw his little brother lying half-covered in the middle of the bed. "He came home yesterday completely blown up, but he didn't want to say anything, he just wanted to wait for you to come home." Kim said. Stella leaned her head on Kelly's shoulder. "Did I do something wrong?" Kelly asked. "What?" Stella asked. "Kelly, you mustn't blame yourself now, Finley has been through a lot and maybe he had a good reason why he didn't tell you." Adam said. "I thought I would be able to do this alone." Finley said, suddenly standing behind them. "Hey and we've told you a thousand times that you don't have to go through this alone." Kelly said. "Yeah, I know, I've realized that too, I'm sorry." Finley said, bowing his head. "Hey, look at me, promise us that from now on you will talk to us if anything worries you, okay." Kelly smiled and Finley nodded. "Come here." Kelly said and hugged him. "You wanted to tell us something?" Matt asked. "Yeah, but I have to get something out of my jacket first, you can sit down." Finley said, going over to his jacket and getting something out of the pocket. "I went to Med yesterday after school, but don't worry, I'm not injured, at least not physically." Finley said. "You went to see Daniel, didn't you?" Matt asked. Finley nodded and tears rolled down his face. "Hey, that's not bad, come over here." Kelly said, hugging him. "I told you about the picture that don't want to go away." Finley said. "Is that why you spoke to Daniel?" Kelly asked. Finley unfolded the paper and handed it to Kelly. "Can you sign this?" Finley asked. "Sure, what's that?" Kelly asked. "I talked to Daniel yesterday about something I haven't talked to anyone about in 7 years." Finley said. The others eyed him. "Well, I couldn't have talked to anyone about it, but I didn't want to bother you with it." Finley said. "Are you going to tell us now?" Sylvie asked. Finley nodded and took a deep breath. "I was 4 and I was staying with a friend who lived a few doors down because I couldn't be with you." Finley said. "Why couldn't you be with me?" Kelly asked. "You had this Chief on duty who replaced Boden and didn't allow visitors." Finley said. "Ah yes, now I remember, go on." Kelly said. "We were at my friends room playing and his mother and little brother were in the kitchen making cookies." Finley continued. "I don't have a good feeling about this story." Stella said. "My friend, his name was Harvey, was going to get something to drink when the doorbell rang." Finley said. "Wait, was his name?" Jay asked. Kim gave him a little nudge. "Sorry, go on." Jay said. "It was a Man and I heard his mother arguing with him." Finley said and his eyes began to fill with tears. Kelly put his arm around Finley's shoulder. "I'll cut it short, I had to watch my best friend and his family get shot and killed by this Man." Finley sobbed, tears rolling down his face. Kelly hugged him and tried to calm him down. Adam, Jay and Kim looked at each other. "Is what?" Finley asked, wiping the tears from his face. "Yeah, the case just sounds familiar to us." Jay said. "What's up with that note?" Matt asked. "I thought, after all you've done for me over the past few months, I wanted to give something back and decided to go into therapy." Finley explained. Kelly smiled and stroke through his hair. "You know we're there for you." Stella smiled and kissed his forehead. "That's why I want to do this, I'll go to Daniel's office twice a week from tomorrow so that nothing stands in the way of the new start after the spring break." Finley smiled and took a pen from the kitchen table and handed it to Kelly. "So, let's get back to you guys, you said the case sounds familiar, what do you mean by that?" Finley asked. "Voight's desk has had a file on a case that he has never been able to resolve for years." Jay said. "Do you remember when it happened?" Kim asked. "Yes, June 28 2015." Finley said. "That would fit." Adam said. "What is it exactly?" Matt asked. "Voight was the lead investigator at the time and he was never able to resolve the case because he had no witnesses." Adam explained. "I'll do it." Finley said. "Are you sure you want to do this?" Kelly asked. "It would be a chance to finally leave this memory behind me." Finley said. "Then I'll let Voight know." Kim said and Finley nodded. "And what do you think if we go to the mall tomorrow and buy you some new clothes." Kelly suggested. Finley nodded. "If you're sure you want to do this, you can come over." Kim said. Finley looked at Kelly and he nodded. "I'll stop by tomorrow after school." Finley said. "I'll pick him up at the station." Kelly said. "Then I'll pick you up from school." Kim said.