27 🌑

I instinctively climbed up higher, not taking my eyes of him. His eyes looked at me curiously, almost like the one an innocent child has. "What are you looking at, San?" one of the guys further away asked, trying to follow his friend's vision. San simply smiled. "Just something you never really see here anymore, that's all."

His friend frowned, but seemed to shrug it off. "Come on man, let's get going. I heard the idiots on the other side are causing trouble, Hongjoong told us to check it out, so we should hurry before they try to break through. San nodded. "I know Wooyoung, I know," he said, glancing back to his friend, rolling his eyes before bringing his focus back to me. "I'll see you later, little butterfly,"

Just as soon as that, the two were gone again. I could feel a hand on my shoulder, turning around scared for my life, only to relax again upon seeing it was Chan's. "They're gone right?" he whispered quietly. I hummed, replying "I think so." Chan let out a heavy breath. "Do you think they're the, well, ghosts, Jeongin talked about?" I asked, rather unsure of what to think. They didn't seem too dangerous to me, but who knew. I'd better be careful.

"We should move fast, it sounded like they had friends here, and I'd rather not meet them." I instantly agreed, getting back on my feet. Who cared about being tired, I had no time to worry about that right now. We continued again for about thirty minutes until we were forced to hide again, hearing more voices coming our way.

"Did they really break through? How even?" I heard a sigh. "Who knows, but from what I know those two leaders were working together, the wolf bringing the kid along. Never thought I'd ever see that day." The first guy seemed to agree. "Do you think there's something, or maybe even someone here, like what happened with the kid's mom last time, Seonghwa?" "Who knows Yunho, but for now let's just worry about getting them out of here. If they really don't cooperate, this means war all over again.

War... Why did those idiots have to break through? Was it that hard to leave us alone? They were actually going into a war to get us back? Just what were they thinking? The voices faded away again, but the anxiety in my head only worsened. If Changbin and Minho had managed to find a way to break through, they could be here before we knew it, and this forest never seemed to end.

"Chan, do you think we should go back after all? We've been going through this place for hours now and we still can't seem to find an end, and a war... We really should get out of here before hell starts. Chan shook his head. "No. The war is perfect for us. If they focus on each other, we'd have the perfect diversion. We really should get going."

"No, I really think you shouldn't," yet another voice called out. Shit, did we get caught? I looked down, feeling shivers run down my spine as his eyes seemed to meet mine. The guy let out a groan. "So you're the reason my forest is upside down with those fools entering." He looked back, three other's suddenly standing behind him, as if they appeared out of thin air. "Yeosang, Mingi, Jongho, go gather everyone here, I don't want to get in more trouble."

Three nodded without saying a word, falling through the ground, their bodies turned into dark shadows hovering over the ground way faster than I could imagine. "Who are you?" Chan asked warily, carefully putting me behind him. He too had heard the stories, knowing fully not to trust anyone or anything here. "Just come down, we'll talk about it here," he commanded, but neither of us did.

The guy rolled his eyes. "Listen, if you're scared that we'll take your bodies or anything, you've by far passed that line already as the ground became dead. There's no turning back for us already, so we made a deal with the devil to give us bodies whenever we wanted for our souls. The other's you should be worried about won't dare to enter here."

I looked around me on the ground, but the guy was right. The shadows that had been bothering me for so long weren't here, and I hadn't seen them in a long time. "Tell us your name first and who you are, we'll consider it then," I called out, still finding it sketchy. Right now I shouldn't trust anyone. "It's Hongjoong, I'm the captain of the pirate ship wonderland."

The captain of a ship? I knew the sea was quite close, but wasn't this too odd? The name too sounded vaguely familiar, annoying me since I couldn't seem to remember. "If you're the captain of a ship, what are you doing in this forest? Don't captains die with their ships?" he nodded. "We had a shipwreck and washed ashore. We went around looking for shelter here until we got stuck here forever, resulting in our deaths."

It still sounded off. Something just didn't seem right. "Then why would you want bodies if you can't get out anyways?" Hongjoong hesitated, looking ticked off. Was I onto something? "If you won't answer us we're not coming down in a long time," Chan tried, seeming to work. "Did you really have to ask that?" Hongjoong muttered under his breath, running his hand through his hair.

"Fine, you wanna know? The deal stated that we could get back to our ship, a ghost ship especially for us, but only if we brought a human girl with us, doomed to be on the ship forever." He looked to the side, seeing everyone, including Changbin, Minho and Jeongin return. Their eyes widened as they spotted us, looking both relieved, yet furious but worried at the same time. Hongjoong coughed to get everyone's attentions.

"Let's get this over with. You guys can take back the boy, but the girl is ours."