36 🌑

There was a silence around us, the only thing audible being the wind, the rustling of leaves and the soft sound of rain falling down. I could hear him breath softly, his heart beating steady, calming in a way. I laid on top of him while his hands were around my waist, holding me tightly. Neither of us said a word, we didn't have to, didn't even want to. All I needed was for him to hold me tight, so I could forget about all my problems, even if just for a moment.

I didn't know what happened to the others, where they were or what they were doing, but I was just thankful for the silence for once. For once just feeling safe and loved again. It had been a long time. It felt like time had stopped, even if it was only for a minute or so. Every more minute right now felt better than anything before. All that had gotten to me, even though I was still a complete mess, it seemed to lessen a tiny bit by bit.

"What do you think is going to happen?" I hummed softly, my mind wondering off again. "Do you think we'll really be stuck here forever? Or will we find a way out?" I added before he could reply. He wanted to, but nothing came out. "Of course I hope we can, I want to, I really do, but I don't know if we could," he answered hesitantly. He wanted to give me comfort, but if that meant giving false hope that could only hurt worse, that he couldn't do either. He was the type to stay positive, yet realistic. To keep hope, but not overestimate his chances. It was nice to have someone like him by my side.

"And what about Hongjoong? What happens if you die a second time? Will he stay underground just like the other shadows? In search for a soul, since he had sold his for another chance?" Chan sighed. What was he supposed to answer? "I really don't know Y/N..." I didn't want to let out my tears again. I knew I had to talk about it, bottling everything up inside would just make it all worse, but how could I possibly be okay when I had hit rock bottom?

Chan cupped my face, kissing my forehead and looking me in my eyes. "Princess, I don't know what will happen to us, to you, to Hongjoong or to anyone here. I can't predict the future and maybe there's not much I can do to change it, but I'll do everything I can to stay by your side through it okay?" I nodded, letting my head fall on his chest again. "But what if I get taken away again? My Minho, Felix, Hyunjin, or Seungmin... I just know that I'll probably keep on going between the two groups, so how could I trust someone when they'll just disappear again?"

Chan felt like he had gotten a knife stabbed in his chest. His heart really broke upon hearing the desperate call out. He knew too that I wanted to trust him, I desperately needed someone to trust, but he too knew that he just couldn't give me the guarantee that he would always stay by my side. He couldn't always convince the others to just go and get me instantly, or rather just avoid me from being taken at all. How could he promise to keep me safe when he knew that he couldn't?

Chan didn't say anything, instead pressing his lips against mine, showing his feelings through the kiss instead. An action could describe something way better than a thousand words could. My eyes widened at first, but soon closing as I melted into the kiss. I missed it. I missed him, way more than I could previously admit. Yeah sure, I was mad at him before, but the feeling of his lips on mine just seemed to wash the little parts of that that were left away. I missed his love.

Chan pulled away, softly pressing my head against his chest again to make me hear the quickened pace of his heart rate beating. "Listen. I may not always be good with words, but this, this is beating for you, and no one else. You're the reason I'm still here, still going, you're the reason that my heart can still beat faster, you're the only person that can make me this happy, this loved, so even in your worst times, please let me be the reason on my your heart is beating, even if you feel like everything else is going wrong."

And that was when I broke down again. He was right, and I knew it. Of course, it was terrifying to trust someone, especially when it feels like there is barely anyone for me to trust anymore, but Chan just made it sound so easy to love him again, and he made it sound so easy and precious that he trusts me too. Although nothing that had been imprinted in my mind this deep could be healed with a few words or a simple action, it felt like the start of being able to heal.

I almost fell asleep, had it not been for the door slamming open, footsteps loudly coming up closer to us. My head shot up at Chan, who instantly, carefully, put me off him, putting me behind him. The door swung open, revealing the three boys, Changbin, Jisung, and Jeongin, in a terrible shape, awfully pissed off. "Listen, although I'm glad you're back here Y/N, you could have warned us first don't you think? Could have saved a lot of trouble for us," Changbin stated.

I looked at their wounds, feeling awful. Great, they got hurt because of me again. Just when I finally started to feel a slight tranquility. "I... I'm sorry," I barely got out, looking down again. Changbin grew a grin on his face with a small chuckle, making me look up again in confusion. To both my and Chan's surprise, all three of them were smiling again. "Are you- are you guys okay? I don't know if this is a happy smile or a smile that screams murder," I said, genuinely confused between the two.

"We're just glad you chose this place as to where you wanted to stay."

----------

"Ps. The murder in our eyes is for the other side, this really was the last straw," Jisung added quietly, glancing outside with the angriest yet oddly cutest pout I had ever seen.