Chapter 59

Evania's eyes opened, and she found herself searching for Sylvia's sleeping form. She found the succubus sound asleep, exactly where she had left her. Being used as a pillow for the vampire.

Evania sat up, looking down at Sylvia's sleeping face and taking note of the uncomfortable expression on her face. Understandable if they had the same dream.

A dream to Evania, but a memory to Sylvia. Evania had gotten a glimpse of the moment her entire life turned upside down. The man she thought was her protector had tried to kill her. Had taken something from her that caused far more pain than he would ever know. Evania's heart felt heavy with grief but she couldn't tell whom it really belonged to.

She brushed her palm against Sylvia's cheek, pressing her own forehead against her's. She wished she could pull the negativity away like Kai could. Wished she could try and make her feel better, somehow.

Sylvia tilted her face into the palm where her expression began to relax. Peace began to take hold of her features again while a gentle smile tugged at her lips. She didn't open her eyes and didn't really show any sign of waking, so Evania peeked back into her dream once more.

She was looking at a woman who looked like they could have been Isirona's mother. She had striking red hair exactly the same as Sylvia's and the same purple irises. She was looking down off a balcony, overlooking a cityscape. The massive city before them seemed to be so filled with life even from up here in her castle. She looked older, and more weathered than Sylvia did, but her features were flawless nonetheless.

The moon bathed the two of them in barely there light, but the woman was holding a candle that casted a faint glow on her face.

"What has you awake at this hour my Treasure?" The woman asked smiling warmly down at her.

Evania found herself in Sylvia's body for the moment as she experienced the memory. Sylvia moved up beside her mother and looked down at the city below them.

"I cannot sleep." She confessed. "It... everything feels so different, and there's so much at stake now... and... and I'm broken."

"You are not broken." Guinevere narrowed her eyes. "You have a battle scar, one that will eventually heal."

"I lost my wings!" Sylvia snapped back at her mother. "They paraded them through the town like a fucking trophy! He told them I was a monster and that he carved them from my back himself!"

"They do not believe him." Guin answered. "Mordred is letting himself be used by Morgan, and there is little that can be done for the moment. Worry not on what was."

"And what is and may be are just as worrisome! What if this happens and what if that happens? They could overthrow father any day now. We may wake and he'll be dead in his bed!"

"Your father is just as worked up as you are. He's in his study surrounded by half the guards. The other half are watching you and I." Guin smiled softly, reaching over and placing her hand on Sylvia's cheek, gently running her thumb under her eye. "Why don't you go to him? Maybe the two of you will tire each other out?"

"Or work each other up. Perhaps I should just stay here and try to find peace." Sylvia sighed deeply.

"Then let us go lie down at least. You may not be tired but I'm exhausted." Guin walked past Sylvia and back into the bedroom. Evania couldn't tell who's room this was supposed to be, as it seemed to be decorated like any other fancy castle bedroom. Everything was in Blues and Golds as it was clearly Arthur's colors of choice.

Sylvia followed her mother to the bed as the woman crawled under the covers. Sylvia paused a moment, watching her as she simply made herself comfortable before slipping into the covers beside her but staying on the other side of the bed as she watched her mother. The older woman was sitting up against a few pillows like she was about to open a book or sneak out once Sylvia fell asleep, though she appeared to be the one who was tired.