Chapter 80

I had other plans today. Evania grumbled into Vanessa's head. The younger vampire was practically dragging the girl around seemingly without a goal. This was of course starting to get on Evania's nerves as she wanted to spend her day off inside reading and snuggling with Sylvia.

But Vanessa said it was really important.

"I'm sorry! Not everyone has photographic memory and can remember their way around!... I think I'm lost." Vanessa confessed. "Where the hell are we?"

Town.

"Oh my gods! I hadn't guessed!" Vanessa retorted. "I meant, do you know where we are in the town? I thought there was a book store around here..."

You're looking for a book store?

"I'm supposed to be picking up a book for Syl."

Then why did I have to come with you?

"Because Syl refused to come. She said she was sick of me. So I figured if I can't have her attention, then I'll take her focus away entirely." Vanessa grinned like she had won some secret argument. "There it is!"

Vanessa rushed across the street, barely glancing both ways as she jogged towards the store front. Evania rolled her eyes and slowly crossed, keeping an eye on the busy traffic that was usually about. Thankfully it wasn't too busy today and that meant Vanessa's carelessness didn't nearly kill her, or someone else.

You could have brought your sister out here. Or one of Sylvia's sisters. Why does it have to be me?

"Maybe I want to do something with just you for once. Jeez. Don't act so offended." Vanessa grumbled, glancing at Evania over her shoulder before they entered into the book store.

So Syl sent you on an errand for her and refused to go with you?

"Yep." Vanessa answered, moving to head up to the counter. "Good morning!"

"Good morning. How can I help you today?"

"I'm picking up a book for Sylvia Pendragon today. She wasn't able to come herself but she asked me to grab it for her." Vanessa explained.

The man at the counter nodded and headed into the back room while Evania browsed the shelves. She occasionally signed to Vanessa, letting her know about other books without making her seem like she was talking to herself. The man returned a moment later with a book which Vanessa paid for before moving over to look at the books Evania was looking at. "Anythin' you're interested in?"

Evania shook her head before placing the book back on the shelf to sign as she whispered in her head. I have a bunch of books on Succubi and Vampires, and a couple others on the study of magic. But there's nothing here that I'm interested in.

"You don't want romance novels or something?"

I can't read them for the same reason Zali can't. If I get into it, and Sylvia has something she's supposed to be doing then she's going to have issues.

"That seems like a 'her' problem." Vanessa smiled. "Come on, you should be allowed to have a little fun."

I can read those books. Sylvia just can't be doing anything important, and I have to expect the rest of my night to be occupied with her attention. Evania shrugged.

"You seem to be able to talk about your sex life a lot easier than my sister." Vanessa chuckled.

I'm only telling you the truth of the matter. I can't go reading smut otherwise Sylvia's going to have it rough. Evania explained.

"Okay, so no smut. What other things do you like to read?"

Evania shrugged again. I like learning about things. Or hearing about adventures.