Deny, Deny, Deny

Summary: After denying his feelings, Spencer ends up on a blind date, but she quickly sees through the mask he put over his feelings for Reader.

"Seriously, you have no need to stress." You brushed Spencer's shoulders, backing up. "Hm."

"What?" You walked back over, your hands meeting his hair as you gently moved some out of his face. Spencer's face immediately went red.

"Perfecto." You patted your hands at your sides awkwardly. "You're all ready for your date."

"Oh uh thanks..."

You gave him the world's most awkward thumbs up. "No problem!"

"I really can't believe Emily and Penelope are making me do this."

You chuckled. "They're just looking out for you."

"How is making me go on a date with a stranger supposed to be 'looking out for me?"

You shrugged. "They want you to be happy."

I'm happy with you. "I guess so."

"You look great."

"Thank you, Y/N." Every time he said your name, you felt tingles in your stomach.

You swallowed. "Make sure you tell me how it goes at work tomorrow."

"I will."

"You know where to find me!" You shot him finger guns. Oh my god, Y/N.

Spencer laughed softly. "See you tomorrow, Y/N." Why did this good night feel so solemn?

"See you tomorrow." You left his apartment, your stomach dropping. Spencer was about to go on a date with another girl who, according to Emily, was perfect for Spencer, and that girl was not you. "Stupid, stupid, stupid," you whispered to yourself as you made your way home.

Dates were something that Spencer was not well acquainted with. In fact, he hadn't really been on a proper one before, so he was actually terrified. According to Emily and Penelope, her name was Aria, she was 28, and also "into nerd stuff." He wasn't sure what that meant but figured he'd say yes since it was clear nothing was happening with Y/N. "Spencer?"

He turned around. "Aria?"

She smiled. "Yeah, hey!"

"I—uh it's nice to meet you." She leaned into hug, Spencer awkwardly deflecting. "Sorry uh I have a germ thing."

"Oh of course, sorry. No problem."

He nodded. "Uh should we go inside..?"

"Of course!" They sat down, Spencer feeling awkward. "So...Penelope said you watch a lot of Doctor Who."

"Oh yeah! Me and Y/N watch it weekly, we have these marathons—"

"Sorry, who's Y/N?"

"Right, she's uh she's my best friend."

"Aha..."

"Y-You watch the show?"

"I've seen like 3 episodes or something." He furled his brows. Not really what Penelope said but alright. "Oh! I remember, we both read a lot."

"You like to read?" He smiled excitedly.

"Yeah! My favorite is the Twilight series."

"I uh I've never read it."

"What?! How can you be into reading and not have read it?"

"I prefer the works of uh Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Bradbury, and—"

"I haven't uh heard of them."

"Oh, you should check them out. Y/N wasn't really an avid reader before, but she discovered Jane Austen and hasn't really stopped reading since."

"She sounds great," Aria mumbled.

Spencer glanced around nervously. "Why don't we order..?"

She nodded. "Sounds good." They both scanned the menu. "Do you think the pesto here is good?"

"Oh it is. Y/N loves it, and she's really good at cooking, so it has to be good."

Aria exhaled. "Alright then." Spencer wasn't really sure how it was going, but he figured if she was still there and talking...it must be pretty okay. The rest of the meal passed rather slowly, and he was also unsure if that was a good or bad thing. The meal concluded as the waiter handed the paid bill back.

"So uh...should we do this again?"

Aria sighed. "I like you. You seem really cool and sweet, but..." Spencer looked confused. "I think you need to work out your feelings for Y/N before you try to start something with someone else."

"What..?"

"I think you like her...not me." He was quiet. "Night, Spencer."

"Good night..." She was right. He couldn't even hide his feelings for her from a stranger, nonetheless himself.

A knock at your office door, a special one actually. You and Spencer created it to avoid accidentally saying something weird if it was someone else at the door. "I'm here."

Spencer walked in. "Hey."

"There's the ladies' man! How did it go?"

"Well—"

"Sit, sit!"

"Oh uh okay." He sat down.

"Tell me everything! Was she cute? When's the second date? Oh! Did you kiss—"

"There isn't a second," he finally interjected.

You paused. "Oh...I'm sorry. What went wrong? If you don't mind me asking!"

"Of course I don't." He exhaled. "I don't think I can go on a date and try to like someone else."

Someone else? "I don't get it..."

"Get what?"

"A pretty girl who is supposedly perfect for you agrees to go out with you...what on earth would convince you to let that go?"

The eye contact that followed said it all. Oh god his eyes. You could get lost in them. "Just one thing." Your eyes widened. "I-I know this came out of nowhere, but I couldn't keep pretending that—" You cut him off by pressing your lips against his, your delicate hands pulling his face to meet yours. You weren't sure how long that kiss lasted, but it wasn't long enough. You both pulled away, catching your breaths. "I couldn't keep pretending that I don't love you," Spencer whispered.

You smiled at him, your hand gripping his tie to pull him back down to meet your lips. "I don't like pretending that either."