Surface Tension

Summary: Reader and Spencer's relationship looks like it's being put to the test, but the surface isn't always accurate.

"Oh! Spence, Y/N, how are y—"

"Fine," you murmured, brushing past JJ.

She frowned, glancing at Spencer. "Is she okay..?" He shrugged wordlessly, walking to his desk and sitting down as you went to the opposite end of the room where you worked.

"Okay, something is up with Reid and Y/N." JJ sat down next to Emily, who sighed in relief as she shut her folder.

"Sorry, I was getting bored of that. Do tell."

"They came in together, but they didn't say a word to each other and went in opposite directions, he didn't bring her coffee for the first time since they started dating, and Y/N didn't once make a stupid excuse to bring him paperwork!"

"Oh god, whatever it is must be bad," Emily mumbled, spinning around in her chair. "Do you think they broke up..?"

She shook her head. "Spence would tell us."

"True...I guess this is their first big fight."

"I know they've gotten into arguments before, but they're both feisty people—at times. It's never been like this."

"What do you think happened?"

"I don't know, but I'm gonna try and figure it out."

"Good luck with that," Emily sighed, looking at the stoic expressions on both your and Spencer's faces as you worked.

"Hey, Spence...could you get me some coffee?" JJ smiled innocently, spying you at the counter.

"Yeah, sure." Spencer got up, walking over to the counter. He avoided all eye contact with you, the both of you moving about your routines as if you were strangers, not a couple.

JJ's jaw was practically on the floor. She had seen you both there before, how Spencer would "accidentally" touch your hand or brush up against your leg. None of that was there, not even a small glance and sneaky smile. What the hell is happening with them?

"Please tell me you've noticed too," JJ pleaded.

Penelope paused, clearly deep in thought. "You know what? I have! Reid didn't do that thing where he paces the hallway near my office for like 5 minutes to "coincidentally" bump into Y/N when she comes by to meet with Strauss at all today!"

"They're definitely going through something..."

"This isn't good! Reid was just telling me how he thought he wanted to marry her some day!"

JJ exhaled. "What do we do?"

"Aren't we supposed to leave people's relationships alone?"

"You're right, you're right—"

"Nah, I wanna meddle."

JJ smirked. "And meddle we will."

"Heya, Reid." Penelope stood next to his desk.

"Hi..."

"I was thinking of inviting a few people to dinner, you in?"