Regret

Summary: Spencer realizes his feelings, but it could be too late.

Regret was a powerful thing; a person could find themself laying awake at night, their mind skipping from each thing they did or didn't do or say.

Spencer found that stupid.

Emphasis on found—past tense.

In that very moment, he lay awake, staring aimlessly at the ceiling of his bedroom. He meticulously counted each slight scratch, strand of cobweb, and bit of paint chip over and over, trying to patch the mental hole.

Every person at one point or another dreamed of having a time machine, allowing themselves to repeat an event that has plagued them. Perhaps a job interview, an audition, or a mere conversation that changed the course of their entire life at the split slip of the tongue.

Spencer wished he had one that would take him back 3 years, 5 months, and 17 days ago.

"Stupid little—FUCK!" You squealed as the box in your arms fell onto the floor, books and papers scattering the floor.

"Are you alright?" The boy jogged over, his eyes resting upon a figure he could only describe as angelic, no other words compared to you.

"Fine, I just learned that climbing up stairs in wet rain boots is a bad idea, especially with a box full of books."

"Those are a lot of books," Spencer chuckled, helping to scoop them up.

"Book drive for the local school district, they're being severely underfunded." You grimaced as you picked a few books from the ground.

"Like...kids?"

"Mhm, why?"

"Which kid is reading 'Falling for my Boss?" Spencer furled his brows as he held up a book.

You pursed your lips. "I have no idea what that book is or where it came from."

"I'll go toss it—"

"Uhh I will take it and bring it to the office! I'm sure it belongs to some...who is not me." You grinned awkwardly as you snatched the book.

"Of course," Spencer mused. "I'm Spencer."

"Y/N."

If he could time travel, he'd go to that moment and ask you to coffee.

But he didn't.

He wished so badly that he did.

"Which colour looks best with my eyes?"

"The dresses are all white..?"

"Different shades of white!"

Spencer sighed. "Every dress you wear, you look beautiful in."

You smiled softly. "Thank you, Spence."

"Thomas is a lucky guy..."

"Isn't he?" You giggled as you flipped your hair. "But...you're right. What matters is that I'm marrying him, not my dress or hair or that BS."

"Yeah...definitely."

"You're the best, you know?"

"I get that a lot."

You burst into laughter. "So humble."

"You said it first!"

"Blah blah."