Reign of Terror

Summary: Linda Barnes attempts to get Spencer to leave the bureau, taking advantage of the relationship between him and Reader to do so.

You brushed past your husband, reaching under his arm to grab an apple. "Pardon me, good sir."

Spencer pecked your cheek. "You're excused."

"So...day one of Barnes' tyranny, huh?"

"Oh god, please don't remind me."

You sighed, leaning against the counter and biting the apple. "I'm sure it'll blow over, that happened with Strauss back then, didn't it?"

"I guess, but I don't think Rossi has any plans to sleep with Linda."

You choked on your water. "I did not need that visual."

Spencer grinned. "But you're right. People can try all they want to take down the BAU, but they'll never do it."

"That's the spirit. Besides, I'm sure unit chief Jareau will be great for a few days."

He nodded. "Just wish it weren't under these circumstances."

"Agreed," you murmured. "And don't forget, Spence...this isn't about Mexico." Your hand brushed against his cheek, bringing him a familiar comfort.

"I know," he whispered, kissing the back of your hand. "We better go, wouldn't want her highness to fire me for being late."

"Ah, good idea." You both grabbed your things, heading to the subway.

"Dr. Reid...other Dr. Reid." You and Spencer snickered as a few people greeted the two of you, heading into the elevator. The elevator hit the fourth floor, and you waved, heading to your own unit.

Spencer continued to climb to the sixth floor, getting off to be greeted by a very antsy Penelope. "She could try and rip us apart, you saw what happened with the IRT!"

"She could, but she won't," he replied cooly.

"How can we be sure?!"

Spencer shrugged. "If serial killers and former section chiefs couldn't do it, a power crazed lady with, as Y/N calls it, Lego hair won't do it either."

Penelope chuckled. "Y/N's right."

"She always is."

To say that Spencer was already fed up with Barnes was an understatement. Demanding, abrasive, hot headed, and incredibly narcissistic. The only thing that kept him from completely lashing out at her was thinking of the various jokes you had made about Barnes—although his occasional smirks when she was in a room were slightly odd to her.

"She's trying to get you to retire? Are you serious?"

Rossi rolled his eyes. "I know."

"That isn't even how retirement works," Luke murmured. "Besides, she tried to get me to go back to my old position."

"She's crazy," Tara muttered, her fists clenched.

"We just have to keep our cool here, okay?" JJ looked around. "Just until this all blows over." Everyone nodded, murmuring in agreement.

"Speak of the devil," Matt whispered, the doors opening as Barnes walked in.

"We need to get to the crime scene, Agent Reid, come with me." She whirled around, walking off.

Spencer sighed, following her as the team watched him leave sympathetically.

"So...do you have kids?" Barnes asked, making conversation on the drive.