Visiting Hours

Summary: Reader visits Spencer for the first time since he got arrested, something that proves to be difficult for them both.
Warning: Mentions of prison, murder. This is not romanticizing Reid's time in prison, I think it's really gross and insensitive to romanticize trauma.

You sat at your desk, looking across to the empty one that you were so used to seeing Spencer inhabit. "Hey."

"Emily, hi...how is he?"

"He's holding in there," she sighed.

"When can I go see him?"

Emily bit her lip. "The hours are still conflicting with your schedule, I'm working on it."

"Oh..." That doesn't seem like a very good reason.

Emily patted your shoulder, heading up to her office. She looked at you through the window, seeing the disappointment in your face.

"Reid..." Spencer looked up at Emily, his eyes full of sorrow. "We will get you out of here. And hey, Y/N is next on your visitor list—"

"No!"

Emily stopped. "What?"

Spencer inhaled sharply. "Please don't let her come."

"What? She's your best friend, why wouldn't I—"

"I can't let her see me like this, Emily."

Emily gulped. "But I am, JJ is, Penelope is..."

"It's different with Y/N."

"Why?"

"You know why."

She did. "Okay, I won't let her come. But just know that she's gonna be upset."

"I'd rather that than make her more upset by seeing me here," he whispered.

Emily stood up, rubbing his arm. "No contact!" A guard yelled, making her recoil.

"Thank you for coming," he whispered.

"Do you have anything you want me to tell Y/N?"

"No. I don't want her distracted by me."

"You're sure?"

"Yes! Okay?" He rubbed his forehead. "I'm sorry, I just—"

"I know, Reid. I know." Emily waved goodbye as she shut the door. "Poor kid."

You knocked on Emily's office door. "It's open!"

"Hey..."

"Oh, Y/N. Hi." She put down her pen. "What's up?"

"I would like to give my seminar speaking position to Walker."

"What? Why?"

"I want to go see Spencer."

"But—"