Adjustment Period

Summary: Reader has to get used to a big change, but it isn't so bad.

You hated change. It was probably your worst trait—and there were a good few of those.

"We're just moving conference rooms."

No, you liked the specific view of the park across the road from the seat you always picked, so you could zone out and stare at people get dragged by dogs or fall in mud.

"What if you changed up your hair?"

And what if it looks bad? Or it's annoying?

All in all, change sucked...mostly.

"How are you doing, Y/N?" Your coworker, and best friend, walked alongside you.

"Pretty tired."

"Late nights?" She wiggled her brows.

You sighed happily. "Very."

"I'm melting, as if the service wasn't adorable enough."

"Oh please," you said, laughing.

"I'm serious, I have never seen two people undress each other with their eyes quite like you and Spencer."

"Geez, you're observant."

"Don't really need to be."

You rolled your eyes. "But we're back, and it's time to get back to normal."

F/N paused in front of your office door. "Normal, huh?"

"What?" You paused.

"Look."

The gold placard that had for so long said 'Y/N L/N' now said 'Y/N Reid.'

A childish grin spread across your face. "Please say it out loud."

"Again?"

"F/N."

She sighed. "Mrs. Reid?"

"Who, me?"

"Who else?"

"Thank you very much." You looked at the sign, grinning at the 4 letters after your name. "I'm Y/N Reid."

"Really? It isn't like you haven't shut up about it since you got engaged."

"Don't ruin my fun!"

F/N snickered. "I've got my own work, bye, Reid."

You almost burst from smiling as you walked in, sitting down.

A knock on your office door.

"Come in."

"Ms. L/N—No, Mrs. Reid. What do I call you?" One of the interns walked in.

You laughed. "Whatever is easiest."

"No, no, it's your name now." He cleared his throat. "Mrs. Reid, could you sign off on my hours for school?"

"Of course." You took the paper, not even realizing how much you were blushing upon reading the chicken scratch 'Y/N Reid' on the paper as you signed your name. "There you go."

"Congratulations on the wedding by the way."

"Thank you!"

"So, how was day 1 back?" Spencer zipped up your jacket, your arms full of folders. "I'll take the stack as a lot of work."

You sighed. "Yeah, but it was wonderful."

"Really? Did they have a party for you or something?"

You laughed. "No."

"So what made it so great? Mine was average, a few teases from Morgan though."

"People call me Mrs. Reid now." You smiled as you said it.

"Well duh, it's your name now."

You elbowed your husband. "You don't get it, Spence. Your name isn't changing here, it's like super weird but super nice too. Like now everyone knows we're together."

"I guess if they know me, sure. Though, the amount of people with the surname Reid in this country—"

"Spencer."

"Sorry."

"It just...it made me realize that this is all happening to me, like for real."

Spencer smiled. "I know, I kind of felt it when Hotch started talking to me about my future work hours as children and such come into play."

"Wow, he's thinking ahead."

Spencer shrugged. "Kind of needed in my job."

"Very true."

Spencer exhaled the cold air. "We're married."

"We are married."

"It feels very different but not at all."

"I know," you breathed. "I've spent 4 years with you, and now it feels like a whole new thing. Oh my god, I gotta change my email, my Facebook name, all of it!"

Spencer laughed, putting his arm around you. "You're so cute."

"I also know."

"Penelope, this is really sweet."

"This is my wedding gift to you, just buy anything here."

"I can't—"

"Shut up, I'm making you."

You chuckled. "Okay, okay."

The cashier scanned the stand mixer. "Would you like to be a rewards member, it comes with a lot of discounts."

"Uhh..."

"Ooh, I am," Penelope said. "Totally worth it."

"Okay then."

"Name?"

"Y/N L—Reid."

Penelope giggled slightly as you said the name.

"Alright, Ms. Reid...you're all set. Have a good day!"

"YOU SAID THE THING!" Penelope squealed.

"I DID!"

"It must be weird getting used to though."

"Oh, it is."

"Spencer got sooooo blushy earlier when I said Y/N Reid, it was adorable."

"He did?"

"Oh yeah! It was sweet."

"I really hate changing things most of the time."

"You and me both."

You smiled to yourself. "I don't know, Penny, but I think I kinda like this change."

The woman grinned. "You definitely do, your pink cheeks say so."

"Mrs. Reid," you hummed. "Something 23 year old me totally wrote on a notebook somewhere."

"Fate."

"Definitely."

lolz sorry I didn't upload for a hot minute I was lazy lmfao also swamped w work and made it to states so no time for anything hehehe