It All Comes Back

Summary: Reader and Spencer are forced to work together after 8 years, and a lot has changed.

"He's more advanced than he was 8 years ago."

Rossi scanned over the file in his hand. "He's become more accurate, careful, and calculated."

"Why the shift?" Morgan asked, furling his brows.

"Where's Reid?" Hotch asked, placing the folder down.

"Hm?" Spencer asked, walking in with a container of coffees. "What'd I miss?"

"Do you remember what your final examination before being instated to the FBI was?"

"Yeah, it was a comprehensive profile on Jim Ramsey, better known as the Stonecreek Killer—"

"Okay, yeah, he does," Rossi murmured.

"Why?"

Hotch slid the folder forwards, Spencer looking upon the images. "Is this him?"

Spencer gulped. "It looks a lot like his style. More advanced."

"Can we put you in charge of this? You know him like nobody else."

He exhaled. "There was someone else on the report, she has the other half."

Hotch leaned back in his chair. "Who is she?"

"Y/N L/N."

"She left the bureau, didn't she?"

Spencer nodded. "5 years ago."

"I'll get Garcia on it."

"Hotch—"

"Get working."

Spencer exhaled, looking down at the paper with your two names on it.

"God, you people are insane," you snapped, walking out of the elevator with handcuffs on.

"This isn't what I expected at all."

"Spencer, make them let me go."

A small smirk played on his lips. "What did you do to earn handcuffs?"

"I didn't want to come here!"

"She began beating an agent with her shoe," the agent behind you spoke up.

"Slipped," you mumbled, Spencer snickering. "Get the smile off of your face, Spencer."

"Let her go."

You rolled your eyes, shaking out your arms. "Why am I here? And why is it with you?"

Spencer motioned for you to follow him, pointing to the images on the evidence board. "Ring a bell?"

"Unfortunately."

"I know you put your FBI days behind you—"

"I did, which is why I'm leaving." You began walking out, Spencer grabbing your wrist.

"Y/N, please."

You stopped. "You've never needed me before; you'll be fine."

"I need you now, Y/N."

You inhaled sharply, turning around. "Am I getting paid?"

"You will if you help me."

"Help you? God, you've never needed anyone's help. Isn't that why you broke up with me?"

"Y/N—"

"Please! Explain that to me."

Spencer exhaled. "Can we just put personal feelings aside for this?"