Chapter 221 - The Consequences of Lacking Trust

"Okay... I will give you a chance."

As soon as she said those words Han Yefang instantly released her and came in front of her.

A smile of relief surfaced in his face that was covered with tears.

He held her shoulder and asked to reassure, "You really are giving me a chance?"

Mai Yue Rui looked at him blankly and replied, "You have five minutes. Tell me whatever you planned to say."

"Come inside." He held her hand and brought her to the living room.

He made her sit on the couch and went to the kitchen. Then he came back with two cups of coffee. He placed them on the table and then sat in front of her.

"You don't know how happy I am Yu'er."

Mai Yue Rui sighed in reply and added, "Come straight to the point."

He held both his hands to stop shaking and then he started while looking at the floor, "It's true that I indeed approached you because of Shu Ren."

After hearing the name Shu Ren, Mai Yue Rui felt goosebumps all over her body. She tried to calm down herself and pretended to be okay in front of  him.

She clenched her fists tightly and said "I already know that. Nothing new!"

Han Yefang looked at her then he suddenly went close to her on the floor and held her hands.

"It's true that I approached you with a clear intention. I didn't even know that Shu Ren was talking about you. Only when I saw you in my class and Shu Ren sent me your picture then I knew she was talking about you."

Everytime Han Yefang mentioned Shu Ren name, it made Mai Yue Rui's blood boil.

She forcefully released her hands and said, "Sit on the sofa. It's awkard on the floor."

Seeing her uncomfortable behaviour made Han Yefang's heart ache. She was not like that before. In fact he was her whole world. If only... that incident didn't happen, they would be happily married now.

And that is why he has to explain himself.

Before it's too late...

He pressed his lips and went back to his seat.

"I never wanted to be a part of her plans. She told me various lies about you. She told me that you snatched her boyfriend from her. She even faked suicide to convince me. That's when I had to agree to help her."

Mai Yue Rui did not say anything. She silently sat on her seat and kept staring at the table.

"But after spending time with you I came to know you better. And I realized that you are not the type of girl the way she potrayed you to me. So I pulled myself off from her plans and started to officially court you."

Han Yefang still didn't get any response from her.

He started to continue, "I swear that I never betrayed you. The moments we spent with each other were all true to my heart. I never had any intention of hurting you."

Hearing him Mai Yue Rui suddenly chuckled.

She looked at him blankly and said, "I feel like I am hearing a fable where the moral of the story is "Do not trust people."

Han Yefang on the other hand, had nothing to defend him in.

He sighed and replied, "I know that you have grievance against me. And that's completely my fault. But I had my reasons too."

"About the abduction incident, that day I told you that I knew about everything. But that is not true... I didn't know about it."

Mai Yue Rui's blank eyes moved a little.