CAPITOLO SESSANTA-Bittersweet

"I'll be missing you." - Faith Evans

Manhattan, New York📍
1:25 pm
May 12th '19

Sitting in one of the front pews within the crowded church, the Giovanni sisters felt as if they were trapped in a torturous time warp as they waited for yet another funeral to begin.

The funeral of yet another wonderful human being who had managed to touch their lives in such a unique and special way. A loving individual who brought them joy on numerous occasions and smothered them with his comforting persona. A brave young man who had the world and life ahead of him but was taken away by what they could only describe as the sins of their disobedience...

The funeral of Khalil 'KD' Dawson.

"Brother and sister together we'll make it through, Ohhh...."

The hour had finally arrived for Khalil's beautiful soul to be put to rest and no amount of personal pep talks and de-stressing exercises would have sufficed to prepare the sisters mentally for this heartbreaking moment.

"Someday a spirit will take you and guide you there..."

As the angelic voice of the little boy in the church choir sings Everybody's Free by Quindon Taver, the mournful wails and cries of sorrow from the congregation grew louder, piercing through the girls' hearts like a double edged sword and threatens the stability of their legs as they slowly rise to their feet along with the rest of the church.

"I know you've been hurting but I've been waiting to be there for you..."

And as the shiny black and gold coffin, which was being carried to the alter in a slow mournful march by KD's pallbearers, crosses into their line of sight, tears begin to fall from the sisters' eyes uncontrollably, blurring their vision.

"And I'll be there, just helping you out, whenever I can."

They watch through hazy red eyes as the four OG members of the Six Kings, the Livingston and the Anderson brothers gently rest KD's casket onto the black and gold detailed stand perfectly positioned in front of the alter for all to see. Once the casket was stable, the Kings and the Livingstons slowly move away from the coffin and head towards the pews where the sisters stand grief-stricken.

"Everybody's free, Everybody's free..."

With heavy hearts, the whole church observe with sorrow as the Anderson brothers peel open the top half of the casket, revealing the upper body of their adopted kid brother/son. KD merely appeared to be sleeping peacefully, oblivious to the pain of his death weighing heavy on his brothers' hearts and body as they slowly turn away from the casket and join the rest of their family in the front pews.

"Ladies and gentlemen, you may be seated at this time as we begin the ceremony for our beloved Khalil."

At the sound of the pastor's gentle invitation, everyone begins to slowly lower themselves back into their seats, some by themselves while a few were aided with the help of others as they were too heartbroken to complete a seemingly simple task as this.

"I'd like to start by greeting you all in the mighty name of Jesus and welcoming you into the house and presence of the Lord. I know the circumstance of this particular congregation today is not a joyful one but within your sorrows and mournful spirits, I encourage you all to find peace and love from the memories and time spent with this young angel as we celebrate the life of our beloved Khalil and lay his soul to rest, amen."