CAPITOLO TRENTA- Can We Talk?

"Can we talk for a minute?" - Tevin Campbell.

The Bronx, New York 📍
2:30 pm
November 30th '18

"Thank you, enjoy your cakes." Rheah beams, watching as the happy customer waves and walks out of the store.

It had been a very busy day so far at Maria's bakery for Rheah but luckily for her, the day had gone by so quick that she only had 30 minutes left of her shift.

"Aye Naé, did you see sis' hair? It was so fire! I definitely-" Rheah pauses mid-speech once she turns around to see Janaé giggling and grinning with her phone pressed to her ear.

"Alright Kei, I'll speak to you later... bye." Janaé smiles bashfully before hanging up the call.

Rheah folds her arms across her chest with amusement. "And here you are saying 'He'S nOt mY mAn' but if I took a picture of what you looked like just now."

"Ugh, here you go again." Janaé rolls her eyes playfully at Rheah. "But did I lie? Keiron is not my man."

"Yet," Rheah smirks.

Janaé grins, "You right, you right."

The girls high-five each other laughing.

"Anyway, enough about my love life," Janaé starts, "When we gon' get you one?"

"When the Lord decides to send me someone." Rheah smiles contently.

"Not this again..."

Rheah smirks, "Sis, I don't know why you think I'm gon' say anything different, I been told you I do not have the time for men right now."

Janaé eyes her for a moment playfully, "Lies. You know sis, it's okay to admit you're just a little scared." She narrows her eyes in amusement.

"Sis ain't nobody scared." Rheah rolls her eyes playfully, "Like I told you before, I'm ready to date but I'm just looking for something−"

She was cut off by the shop bell indicating someone had entered the store. The two women's eyes dart towards the door to see Kyle strolling towards the counter.

"Ladies." He greets with a warm smile.

Rheah smiles politely. "Hello, welcome to Maria's bakery."

Kyle smirks, glancing his eyes on Rheah before looking at Janaé.

"Hi Kyle, wassup?" Janaé leans over, giving him a brief hug.

"Ah, nothing much," Kyle smiles, "Just came in for some rum cake and a sweetbread to go."

"Mhm and check on me." Janaé narrows her eyes at Kyle, "So, who sent you?"

Kyle laughs. "Chris."

"Of course." Janaé smiles sarcastically. "Aye, when you report back your godbrother, tell him I said to get a life and leave mine alone."

"Alright, I will." Kyle smirks, "But you already know he just wants the best for you and to be safe out here in these streets lil Naé, we all do."

Janaé rolls her eyes. "Yeah yeah whatever, I−"

Before she could finish her sentence, the vibration of her phone cuts her off. Pulling it out, she checks the caller ID before looking back up at Kyle.

"It's momma so Imma take this in the back." Janaé turns to Rheah, pressing the green button before putting the phone to her ear, "Rhee, can you please sort out Kyle, I'll be back in a minute." She heads into the back of the store.