CAPITOLO SESSANTANOVE- Trials and Tribulations

"If I died today my nigga, was it business? Was it personal?" - Jermaine Cole

Sicily, Italy📍
02:00 am
August 26' 19

As the wind howls and whistles relentlessly in the dead of the night, huge raindrops pelt harshly onto the windows of the left wing, while the branches of eucalyptus trees continuously slam hard against the glass. In her bedroom, Rheah lies corpse still in her king sized bed, her empty gaze fixated on the 24 karat golden chandelier with an array of various peaks and teardrop crystals hanging from its arms above her. The late-summer Mediterranean thunderstorm bellowing outside was a perfect reflection of the young mother's turbulent thoughts.

Silver lightening cracks the night sky as Rheah finally turns to her side and stares attentively at the sleeping child beside her. Her eyes absorb every detail of Cienna's features. Her voluminous dark curls cascading down her back, her smooth mocha skin and long wispy eyelashes lining her big almond eyes that were closed shut as she sleeps, blissfully unaware of the turmoil her mother was in.

Rheah eventually pulls her gaze away as tears threaten to fall once more. Unlike her daughter, she could not sleep even if she tried. Her mind was too preoccupied with the devastating challenge her father had thrown at her. If she succeeds this initiation, she would officially become a part of La Costa Nostra. Her path in life would be officially sealed with that of the family and its grand empire that has stood as tall as Mount Etna for generations.

But she knew this would not be enough to patch the irreparable damage her disobedience had caused. The strings of trustworthiness that had woven her close-bonded household together was severed and even if her family was to return to what it once was, Rheah knew it would take years to heal this wound.

Nevertheless, she would rather deal with the awkward tension between her and her family than to be forced into exile, never to see her daughter again.

Passing this test was as important as breathing. Failing was NOT an option.

Letting a frustrated sigh escape her lips, Rheah climbs out of bed and makes her way to the bathroom. She freezes when a sudden movement catches her eye from beyond her window. Her senses immediately went on high alert. Her eyes scan the view from her window, while her ears strain to pick up the most minuscule sound. But this was simply impossible as the wind continues to flare its rage and more lightning strikes from above followed by the delayed bellowing of thunder.

"It's probably just the storm." Rheah eventually concludes with a sigh and shakes the paranoid thoughts out of her mind before continuing her journey to the bathroom.

When she was out of sight, another shadow darts past her window.

o~O~o

"No...please..." A dazed Cataleya mutters in her sleep. She tosses and turns restlessly in her bed in a desperate attempt to find some sort of comfort, but it was hopeless.

And then she feels it. The slight trickling sensation in between her legs that makes her eyebrows furrow in confusion until her eyes suddenly pop open in realisation.

"Oh shit! My water broke!" She gasps, shooting up from the bed in an instant and flings the duvet off her. Her heart wrenching scream pierces through the air at the sight of not water...but bright crimson streams running down her thighs and soiling her sheets. "NO!!!!" Cataleya screams with hot tears rolling down her face. "NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!"