Chapter 21

I walked down the street with Cedric, making our way to The Three Broomsticks. The last task was in two days and I wanted to take his mind off it.

"So when you win, what are you going to do with the money?" I asked, stuffing my hands deep into my pockets.

"Don't know, I haven't really thought about it." Cedric shrugged, "Maybe buy a bigger place for my father or buy myself a house."

I nodded, "You know what I would do?"

He hummed, holding open the door to the inn for me.

"I'd buy the nicest furniture I could and furnish my whole house and then have everyone I know over for tea."

"What?" He chuckled, "That's so random."

"My mum and I used to have tea parties all the time. She used to say that your house represented yourself. I see myself as put together and that's what my house will be." I explained.

"I don't think I'd perceive you as 'put together' but that seems like a good policy."

"I know." I nodded.

We both talked and laughed for the whole afternoon. I ignored the feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach, insisting that it was just nerves.

We walked back up to the castle, not really talking about anything important.

"Just remember," I started.

"If I die, you're going to kill me." He finished, laughing, "I know."

"Just making sure." I laughed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sat next to Gabrielle to keep her company. I knew she got anxious about the tasks and I didn't want her to feel alone. And Dean was sitting with me, so I wasn't anxious and alone.

"Earlier today Professor Moody placed the tri-wizards cup deep within the maze. Only he knows its exact position." Dumbledore boomed, "Now as Mr Diggory and Mr Potter tied for first position they will be the first to enter the maze."

I clapped, cheering my friends on.

"Followed by Mr Krum." Dumbledore continued over the cheering, "The first person to touch the cup will be the winner. I've instructed the staff to patrol the perimeter, if at any point should a contestant wish to withdraw from the task he or she need only send up red sparks with their wands. Contestants, gather round."

The contestants gathered in a circle, talking Dumbledore. They then went back into their positions.

Cedric looked over at me and I gave him a thumbs up, trying to be as encouraging as I could.

The Canon went off and Cedric and Harry went into the maze, the shrub growing over them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gabriel and I were playing Betty Sue when Harry reappeared. I immediately stood up to get a better look and my heart sank.

Harry was laying on top of Cedric. On Cedric's lifeless body. He was sobbing loudly.

I didn't realise it but I had screamed. Fleur grabbed Gabrielle, blocking her from seeing his body. The music started to die down as the band realised what was happening.

Now the only noise was Harry's sobs.

"Let me through! That's my son! My boy!" Mr. Diggory cries.

He collapsed next to Cedric, cradling his head.

Hot tears ran down my face and even though I wanted to, I couldn't look away from the body that was only 100 feet ahead of me.

Dean put a hand on my shoulder, turning me around so that I couldn't look.

Everyone was silent, in disbelief of what happened. Professor Moody guided Harry away, who was still sobbing.

I held my hand up to my face. I couldn't believe he was dead. I was talking to him, just two hours ago. His face had been so full of life and he was so animated, now his eyes stared up at the sky, the stars reflecting in them was the only sign of life.

He was gone forever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sat next to Elijah in the glum Great Hall. I held onto his arm, small tears slipping down my cheeks.

"Today we acknowledge a really terrible loss. Cedric Diggory was as you all know, exceptionally hard working, intricately fair minded. And most importantly a fierce fierce friend. I think therefore you have the right to know exactly how he died." Dumbledore said sadly.

I looked at Elijah with a confused look, Elijah shrugged.

"You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort." Fear and sadness panged at my heart. "The ministry of magic does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so I think would be an insult to his memory. Now the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me, reminds us that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one."

I bit my lip, trying to stop it from quivering.

In light of recent events the bonds of friendship we made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain, you remember that. And we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest and brave and true right to the very end."

I leaned my head on Elijah's shoulder. I sighed, shaking my head. I closed my eyes, tears falling.