Chapter 51

The sun was starting to set outside, and the library was growing dark. Hermione had told me that she wanted to meet up to 'settle things' before school ended, yet she hadn't shown up.

My patience was starting to wear thin. I got up, gathering my bag, and getting ready to leave. Just as I pushed in my chair, Harry rounded the corner.

We made eye contact, both freezing.

"You're kidding." I said.

"Bloody Hermione." Harry groaned, throwing his head back.

He walked over begrudgingly as I pulled my chair back out and sat down. He sat across from me, uncomfortable.

My lips were pressed into a thin line and I fumbled with my rings.

"So..." I drawled, trailing off. "This is awkward."

Harry chuckled, "When is it not."

I chuckled a bit, nodding and still fidgeting.

"This is not really how I expected this to go." He said, mostly to himself.

"Did you want flowers and a movie?" I smirked, looking up from my hands.

"Funny." He said, fighting a smile.

I let the corners of my mouth turn up.

"I thought that when I talked to you about this..."

"This?" I interjected.

"It would be on our terms, not Hermione's scheming." He continued. "And a bit more romantic."

"Well, you know how skilled Hermione is." I said. I was trying to keep it light, steering away from the subject I knew Harry was dying to talk about. "I wouldn't've been surprised if she had tricked us into dating without either of us catching on."

He let out a flustered breath.

"Can we just have an honest conversation for a moment?"

"Was this not an honest conversation or..."

"I'm serious." His voice dropped slightly.

I knew I was frustrating him, but it was sort of funny.

"I am too, Potter." I said, dropping my voice as well, still smiling.

His face was turning a bright scarlet, going from ear to ear.

"I've been meaning to talk to you about this for a while." He started.

I was no longer smiling.

"I really hate to cut you off once again, Harry." My face screwed up, it was almost painful to say. "But before you go any further, we must talk about something."

He nodded quickly. I sucked my teeth.

"Come on." I nodded my head towards the door.

He looked at me confused, but still scrambled to his feet. I grabbed his hand, pulling him along behind me.

We left the library, going down the halls quickly. I ran up the moving staircases, not wasting anytime.

We stood in front of the fat lady and I nudged Harry. He told her the password and we went through the tunnel.

As we came out the other end, Hermione and Ron's attention snapped up to us immediately.

I made a beeline for them as they sat in front of the fireplace. Ron looked at us expectantly, while Hermione feigned innocence.

"Sit." I told Harry, and he immediately sat next to Ron. Ron looked at him with a taunting smile.

"We need to talk." I said, sitting on a cushion in front of them.

"Yes, we do." Hermione nodded, looking between Harry and I.

"My Dad died."

Their faces dropped as I looked at them, unfazed.

"Okay," Harry nodded, "Not what I thought we were going to talk about."

"That's why I'm going to live with the Malfoys." I continued. Hermione closed her book, looking at me more attentively. "Narcissa Malfoy is my cousin."

They all looked at me, sort of perplexed.

"Okay, my mum was Druella Black's sister. I know, she was old." I explained, "Druella is Narcissa's mother, and now Narcissa is my closest living relative who isn't a felon or shunned."

I continued before they could speak.

"We probably won't be able to talk over the summer, and I won't be able to come to the burrow. But it's not because I'm abandoning you all or something. Now, if I could have it any other way, trust me I would."

They were all quiet for a moment.

"But it's not for long, right?" Hermione said hopefully.

"It's only until you're 17 and you're... what, 15?"She scoffed lightheartedly.

"Sixteen." I nodded.

"Wait," She paused, looking at me. "We missed your birthday?"

"W- why didn't you tell us?" Ron stammered.

"It wasn't important." I shook my head nonchalantly.

"Of course, it's important." Harry said sternly, "When was it?"

"Friday." I said, avoiding their eyes.

They all looked down, and we avoided each other's eyes.

"Shit." Ron muttered. Hermione elbowed him. Hard.

I chuckled as he whined like a baby.

"I really don't care about my birthday." I shrugged, "It's just not the most important thing to me anymore."

"No." Harry shook his head, "We're going to give you a proper birthday."

I smiled.

A proper birthday.