Chapter 63

Hermione and I were standing around, waiting for the lesson to start. The Professor was quietly preparing each cauldron.

"Is that Professor Slughorn?" I whispered to Hermione, pushing hair behind my ears and out of my face.

She nodded.

"I'll be right back." I handed her my book.

I went up behind him as he hummed to himself, polishing a cauldron.

"Excuse me, Professor." I said, putting my hands behind my back. He gasped in surprise, putting a hand on his chest as he turned around.

"My apologies," I said quickly. He looked at me with a bit of a perplexed look on his face. "I didn't mean to startle you."

"I just wanted to introduce myself," I stuck out my hand, "I'm-"

"Y/n Fawley." He smiled, taking my hand. "Yes, I know quite a bit about you."

"Oh, really?" I asked.

"I taught both of your parents, they were both some of the most intelligent Slytherins I'd ever met." He boasted, "Looking at your OWL's, I assume you're following in their footsteps."

I looked at him with my jaw slack slightly. "Well, that's saying a lot but yes, I think I'm doing quite well."

He nodded, "And I expect this year will be no different?"

"Of course, Professor." I nodded.

"That's good," He nodded. He turned me around as he walked, patting me on the back. "I'm excited to have you in my class."

"I'm excited to be here," I nodded.

"Great," He clapped his hands together, "It's always a joy to teach avid learners."

Avid learner is a bit much but I nod along, taking a spot at the front next to Hermione. She handed me my book as Professor Slughorn turned to stand in front of the class.

As he talked, I looked at each of the cauldrons sitting on the table. I looked over at Hermione who seemed to be studying them just as closely, there was no doubt in my mind that she knew what every one was.

I could easily tell what the Felix Felicis was, there wasn't many potions that resemble molten gold.

The other, Veritaserum, was also extremely easy to recognize. It was clear and had no odor but when you have experience with the potion it becomes easy to see the differences between it and water.

There was a third cauldron filled to the top with a potion that seemed to swirl on its own, glinting with a pearl-like sheen.

As the draft of the dungeon wafted the steam of the potion, my senses were filled with the best scent I've ever experienced. I thought I would never leave the classroom if it meant I could smell it forever.

The smell was sweet and like something I couldn't quite put my finger on but also smelled like butter beer, burnt cookies, cinnamon, and the beach. It might sound like a weird combination but if you were there you would understand.