Chapter 55

August 24th, 1996

Admittedly, the summer had proven more difficult than I expected.

I'd be locked in my room, without seeing even Narcissa, for days with a muffliato charm placed on my door. No letters had been sent to me, and I was forbidden from looking at the Daily Prophet. All I had was ancient books and wizards chest.

The worse part about it was I was starting to lose trust in myself. Often times I'd fall asleep in the evening in my bed or on my sofa, and wake up laying in the dark halls of the manor. That was about the only times I had been out of my room the whole summer. I was welcome to roam the manor when my door was unlocked, but even then I preferred to keep to myself.

I wasn't really sure what had been happening while I was asleep. Luckily, I had gotten quite good at wandless mind-protection charms. It had become part of my routine to place one on myself before going to sleep each night.

I only had one week left before I could go back to Hogwarts, I just had to survive until then.

I was praying that Lucius would let me go with them to Diagon Alley, maybe then I could steal a glance at the Daily Prophet.

I was sitting on my bed, reading The Tales of Beedle The Bard, with Juniper sitting on my lap. The sun was high in the sky and the cat and I were both basking in the spot of sun on the bed.

I heard the doorknob clicking across the room as it got twisted open, although I pretended to stay oblivious.

Narcissa slowly but confidently opened the door, practically gliding into the room.

I closed my book, putting it down next to me and giving her my attention.

"We'll be going to Diagon Alley to buy school supplies. If you would like to come, be down in the front parlour in ten minutes."

"Yes, ma'am." I nodded.

She turned around, her heels clicking as she left, shutting the door behind her.

I hurriedly pushed Juniper off of me, going to my wardrobe. I didn't have any of my actual clothes, just stuff Narcissa had bought me before I arrived. None of the clothes were my style, just saying.

I pulled on a pair of black pants, and struggled to get the turtle neck over my head. I adjusted my necklace from Cedric so that it fit nicely under my collar.

Before leaving the room, I grabbed my boots and scratched Juniper behind the ears. I padded down a few steps before sitting down and pulling on my boots. I went down the rest of the steps quickly, walking into the parlour.

I slowed as I saw the three Malfoys waiting for me. I looked Draco up and down, we were practically matching. He noticed and sighed, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"We're going to set some ground rules before we take you out."  Lucius said slowly.

What am I, a fucking dog?

I nodded obediently.

"No talking out of turn, stay in line, and stay with Narcissa at all times." He said. "And wear the hood."

He nodded towards the folded up robes on the sofa. I sighed, picking them up and slipping them on.

"And cut the attitude."

"Yes, sir." I flipped my hood up. This was more embarrassing than my Rita Skeeter article.

Lucius and Draco both dropped the floo powder, calling out for Diagon Alley. I shoved my hands in the pockets of my skirt, giving Narcissa the right of way.

"Go ahead." She nudged me forward. Of course, never leave me unsupervised.

I ducked down as I stepped into the fireplace. I scooped up a handful of floo powder.

"Diagon Alley!" The green flame flashed up around me and I immediately felt the sensation of spinning.

I landed in a small shoe shop and I stumbled out. I gave the shopkeeper a forced smile, straightening myself out and fixed my hood.

Green light flashed and Narcissa stepped out. She greeted the shopkeeper offhandedly, grabbing me by the shoulder.

"Let's go." She muttered.

As we walked outside of the shop, she let go of me, moving to walk in front of me. I kept my eyes down, knowing that anyone on the street would have recognised me. In the past, I was too outgoing for my own good. Plus, I didn't want anyone to see me like this, it was degrading.

As we walked down the street, I heard the laughing and shouting of kids. I lifted my eyes just a bit. Just out of the corner of my eye I saw the glimpse of hope.

I saw Hermione.