Chapter 39

I made another loop around the court. My nose was sore from the cold and my hands had gone numb. I walked past the houses, watching the muggles' lives from their windows.

I heard a door creak open as Ron shuffled out. He blew into his hands and rubbed them together to keep them warm.

I stopped walking, waiting for him to join me. He smiled, looking down at me, his face dropping when he saw my expression.

"What's the matter?"

My face was suddenly not cold. I dug deep trying to find a plausible excuse.

"It's nothing." I shook my head, "Harry and I just argued."

He raised an eyebrow, dipping his head down to look at me, "What did he do?"

"Well, I'm sure you already know," I sighed, "I just... overreacted like I always do."

I looked up at him and realized I lost him.

"Are you sure?" He said, "He may be my best mate but if he made you upset, I can straighten him out." He nodded. He looked over towards the house.

"Ron." I grabbed his elbow, pulling him back into pace with me, "Trust me, I've moved on."

His teeth chattered and his breath puffed out as he looked around. We made another loop around the court.

"You didn't have to come out here," I said, looking in the opposite direction of him. "It's dreadfully cold."

He shrugged, his coat shifting up with his shoulders.

"I'm not going to let you be out here in the dark cold." He said, "You're one of my best mates. And mates don't leave mates alone."

I smiled.

Halfway through making another loop, the door to 12 Grimmauld Place creaked open.

It was Mrs. Weasley.

"Kids come inside!" She called, "It's way too chilly out here, I don't want you to catch a cold."

We both went inside, taking our time as we hung up our coats, not in any hurry to join the others.

We walked into the kitchen, our cheeks red from the harsh wind. Harry looked from him to me, mad, watching us as we sat down.

I kicked Hermione's leg before looking at Harry. She raised her eyebrows and I rolled my eyes. Ginny and Ron laughed loudly as Fred fell back in his chair.

I looked away from Hermione, my attention turning towards the commotion. I covered my mouth, trying to stop myself from bursting with laughter as he scrambled to get back in his chair.

Mrs. Weasley came into the room, pushing Mr. Weasley in a wheelchair.

"Daddy's home!" She announced as we all cheered. "Sit down, everybody, sit down. That's it. Now, presents."

She pulled out a box of wrapped presents.

"Ron, Ginny." She handed them a package, "Something big for Ron."