Chapter 43

I followed her up the spiral stairs to his office, the only noise being the sound of my pounding heart. She pushed open the door to reveal the Prime Minister talking with Dumbledore.

McGonagall  patted my shoulder, giving me a sweet smile before shutting the door.

What did I do?

"You wanted to speak with me?"  I looked towards Dumbledore.

"Ah, yes," He nodded, "Ms. Fawley, this is Cornelius Fudge, the Prime Minister."

I nodded at him, giving him my greeting.

"Is there something you needed me for, Professor?"

"Please," He gestured to the chair in front of his desk. "We have something important we must discuss with you."

I sat down hesitantly, turning towards Fudge. 

"This is very difficult for me to share with you," He started, "There was an unfortunate accident a week or so back."

My face dropped.

"The circumstances are still unknown but your father, Crowley Fawley, was pronounced dead at St. Mungo's 4 days ago."

"F- No," I shook my head, "That's not true."

"I'm afraid it is."

"4 days ago?" I furrowed my eyebrows, "Why didn't I know about this earlier? Why wasn't I aware that there was an accident in the first place? I- I could have been with him. I could have said goodbye."

"You must understand that we thought it would be better this way." Dumbledore started.

Tears were already forming and I could feel the lump in my throat making it harder to breathe.

"We?" I scoffed, looking at my hands.

"The Minister and I."

"With all do respect, Professor," I looked up at him, "What authority do you have to make that decision?"

He sat there, staring at me.

I struck a nerve.

I stared at him. His eyes bore into my soul, a spark of fire behind his eyes. My breathing got heavier but I didn't break eye contact.

"I understand that your mother is no longer with us."

I looked back at Fudge, breaking out of the trance.

"Correct." I nodded.

"So, we have to place you under new care." He started, "Your closest living relative is your mother's sister Druella's daughter."

My eyes widened as I shook my head.

"Surely, there is someone else."

"I'm afraid not." He sighed, "Now, at the end of the school year, you will go home with Miss Narcissa Malfoy, understand?"

"But I-"