Chapter 28

I sat in my seat, surrounded by a group of jittery first years.

"Hush, now." I smiled, putting a finger to my lips.

"Good evening, children." Dumbledore started. "Now, we have two changes in staffing this year. We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank... who'll be taking Care of Magical Creatures... while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave."

I looked over at the gryffindor table, making eye contact with Hermione. I gestured at the small, brightly dressed woman at the end of the table and she shrugged.

"We also wish to welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher... Professor Dolores Umbridge. And I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck."

A few people clapped, most stayed silent.

"Now, as usual, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you..."

The professor interrupted Dumbledore by clearing her throat. She stood up, walking to the front.

"Thank you, headmaster, for those kind words of welcome." She started, "And how lovely to see all your bright... happy faces smiling up at me."

Two first years started giggling. I brought a finger up to my lips and winked, telling them to be quiet.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered... the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance." She continued, "Although each headmaster... has brought something new to this historic school... progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved... perfect what can be perfected... and prune practices that ought to be prohibited."

I pinched the bridge of my nose, leaning my elbow against the table.

"Thank you, Professor Umbridge." Dumbledore stopped her from continuing, "That really was most illuminating."

"Illuminating." I scoffed, "What a twat."

"What does that mean, Y/n?" A small first year, Lily asked.

"Well, I assume it means no magic outside of the classrooms." I explained

"Which means that the ministry is taking extraneous measures to keep us subdued."