Chapter 48

I had never realised how much of my time was taken by worry what Ron, Harry, and Hermione were doing. I guess I had felt anxious constantly, trying to keep up with them and not get shut out. It was strange realising how much of my life was centred around my friends. I was obviously to blame on that.

I was so grateful, though, that I was able to rekindle my friendship with Dean.

It's truly ironic that I used to constantly bash Gryffindors and now they are my only friends.

Admittedly, I forgot how good Dean was at carrying a conversation. When we hung out, I felt like we could talk about anything and everything without the conversation ever being awkward. And he never judged what I had to say, which was an added bonus.

Right now we were on our way to Hogsmeade, and we were having a riveting conversation.

"Really, you've never thought about it?" I said, holding my hair out of my face as I tried not to slip down the hill. I was a few feet ahead of him as we walked down the rocky terrain.

"About how mermaids have kids?" He chuckled, his hands in his pockets as he watched the ground. "No."

"It's an honest question, no?" I slowed down, waiting for him to catch up with me. "I mean, think about it, do they have live babies or do they lay eggs? And, where does it come from?"

He raised an eyebrow. We were entering town now, and I lowered my voice to avoid awkward looks.

"I mean, they don't have the same anatomy as fish." I said as we walked into The Three Broomsticks. I tried to think of how to word my thought. "It's not gonna be in... so where does it come from?"

He laughed and shook his head, shrugging. "Truly have never thought about it like that."

"Really? Keeps me up at night." I shrugged, inching into the booth.

"You should ask Professor Grubbly-Plank." He suggested, a teasing smile on his lips.

I laughed, "Not bloody likely."

He snickered just a bit, containing his laughter as someone came to take our order. As Dean talked to the server, my eyes slipped off his face and to a table behind him.

Hermione, Harry, and Ron were staring at us, each with resentful looks. Specifically Harry looked unnerved.

Dean tapped my hands which rested on the table. I hummed in reply, looking at him.

"What do you want to drink?" He said softly.

"Oh," I said. I looked at the server. "Butter bear with a bit of ginger, please."

She nodded and smiled, "On it."

"You alright?" Dean said once she was a good distance away. "Haven't seen you zone out like that in a while."

"Yeah, I'm alright." I said, though my eyes slipped over to them unintentionally.

He looked over his shoulder and I slapped his arm. "Could you be anymore obvious?"

I think Harry flinched when I hit Dean more than Dean did.

Dean looked back at me quickly. He raised his eyebrows, looking at me with a fake annoyed expression.

"You seriously still haven't talked to them yet?"

"If they wanted to talk to me, they would. " I shrugged.

"Besides your horrible philosophy," He started. I gave him an exaggerated frown. "What's stopping you from talking to them?"

I thought for a moment, "I don't even know what I would say, no matter what they're not going to listen. I don't feel like I should have to explain such private matters to them."

He nodded, "Well maybe they feel the same way."

He must have seen the confused look on my face because he reiterated what he said. "I mean, obviously they don't share your perspective but maybe they're sort of nervous too. I doubt they want to continue the argument, they're probably just not sure what to say that would make the situation better."

I shrugged. I picked my feet up and tucked them under me. "I guess. I think I'm just going to let them come to me, you know? And I'll try to be a little more patient."

He smiled at our server as she put down our drinks. I nodded a thanks to her.

"That sound like a good idea to me." He said, sipping his drink.

I took a big sip, relishing in the warmth it spread throughout my body.

"Now," He said, "Tell me your opinion on unicorns."

I put down my drink excitedly.

"Don't even get me started."