Chapter 70

It had been about a week since my little outburst. I hadn't talked to Ron, Hermione, or Harry. In potions I kept myself occupied talking to Dean, in DADA it was really easy as Snape was strict about socializing, and it wasn't hard to avoid them in the halls. My trouble was at meals, when I had to act like I wasn't uncomfortable or awkward.

Tonight was Slughorn's first dinner party of the year. He had given me the invite about three days ago when he caught me in the hallway on my way to the Gryffindor common room after dinner. I was already late to the dinner because of something that was completely my fault.

Dean and I had been studying earlier in the evening, Potions specifically. I was getting frustrated because I just couldn't remember the different uses for ingredients and Dean was trying to help me but I kept snapping at him because I was tired and annoyed. Eventually he got fed up and snapped back, causing me to get upset. We argued for too long, so now I was late to dinner and mentally exhausted.

I adjusted my necklace so it laid over my jumper, and fixed my hair so that the frizz laid down flat. My eyes were slightly puffy still but I managed to look put together.

I went down the hall towards Slughorn's office. I took a few shaky breaths before I opened the door.

All eyes immediately fell on me, all previous conversation stopping. My heart dropped as I saw just how far into dinner they were, they had already gotten to dessert. At that point I should've just stayed in my dorm.

"Ah, Miss Fawley. Come in, come in." Slughorn waved me in happily.

"Hi, uhm," I looked down awkwardly. "I'm sorry, I'm not usually late."

Hermione and Harry were staring, Hermione whispering into Harry's ear as they watched.

I looked around, the only empty seat was one away from Harry. I slowly pulled the chair out.

He stood up, as if to say something important. I gave him a look as I sat down. He cleared his throat, sitting himself down as well.

"No matter, just in time for dessert." Slughorn chuckled, "That is, if Belby has left you any."

I gave him a respectful laugh.

Hermione finished whispering to Harry before giving me a look. I returned it, nodding my head tiredly. I slowly took a few bites of the ice cream as the conversation picked back up.

I tapped my foot, taking a deep breath. I could see Harry looking at me but I refused to look in his direction. I could feel him begging me to look.

"So, Miss Fawley, I heard that this coming summer you're taking up the position as apprentice for Newt Scamander?" All attention went to me immediately.

Shit.

I hadn't mentioned that to Hermione, or Harry. Or Dean. I hadn't mentioned it to anyone actually, as I had gotten the letter only yesterday. How Slughorn knew about the offer at all was beyond me.

I swallowed.

"Well, it's nothing official yet." I chuckled politely. "But it's a possibility."

"How spectacular." Slughorn beamed.

"Newt Scamander is a highly respected magizoologist." The professor explained to the others at the table. "He was awarded The Order of Merlin, and even dueled Grindelwald during the Global Wizarding war."

I nodded, averting my eyes from anyone around me as I took a small bite of my ice cream.

"I look forward to hearing about your experience next year."

"I'll be sure you're the first one I tell." I say just to satisfy him. He nodded, continuing in with his small talk.

As the conversation droned on, I kept my eyes trained ahead of me, not trying to get caught in a staring contest with Harry.

"Well," Slughorn clapped his hands together, "I see that you lot are finished with your dessert. And it is getting quite late, so I'll show you all the door."

I stood up quickly, straightening out my jumper as I pushed in my chair. I looked at the rest of the group, all of who hadn't even started to get up.

"In quite a hurry there, aren't we, Ms. Fawley?" Slughorn chuckled, shuffling to the door.

"I'm sorry, professor." I looked down sheepishly. "I just have a bit of work to do before bed."

"Ah, such an determined young witch," He beamed, almost like I wasn't there. "Quite admirable."

He held the door open and I nodded him a thanks as I walked out.

As I walked down the hallway, I ran a hand through my hair and let out a breath that I almost felt like I had been holding. I shook my head, my cheeks burning in embarrassment.

Behind me, I heard the shuffling of other people as we all went out separate ways. I heard a pair of footsteps approaching me quickly, and I softly groaned knowing that I was about to be interrogated.

"What was that?" I heard Hermione's soft voice as she caught up with me.

"Godric, I don't know." I muttered, whipping my hand over my face. "Kill me now, Mione. Merlin's bloody beard, that was so embarrassing."

"What happened today?" She asked as we started climbing the steps. "Alice said she saw you and Dean arguing in the library?"

"I really don't wanna talk about it." I groaned, shoving my hands in my pockets. I shook my head as I looked back at her.

"Do I have to go set him straight?" She asked as we made it to the top of the staircase. Here was where we went our separate ways.

I let out a soft laugh, "No, nothing like that. It was my fault really."

I then paused before just shaking my head. "Just... if you see him, tell him I need to talk to him."

She nodded in understanding. "Yeah, I got you. I'll see you tomorrow?"

"See you tomorrow."