8: Genesis

TW: *mentions of alcohol*

~

With a handful of cash now stuffed into her bag, Lex rolled her neck and groaned. Her opponent was fierce. She was impressed and would've admired her more if she weren't being pounded herself. It only ended with a busted lip and a few cuts on her upper cheek. Manny had texted Lex the details for an upcoming opponent for an underground brawl 2 nights prior.

The same place where she knocked the drunk man out cold. That fight didn't faze her anymore. And she had used that prize money to get a new pair of combat boots. It felt nice to treat herself with new items. The fight took place at 7pm. Her opponent was a woman who went by the name Alley Cat.

Lex wanted to peel off the hand wraps to let them breathe but sucked it up and kept them on. She preferred having some sort of protection on her hands when riding her motorbike to prevent chafing. I wish I had used my car instead.

Minho messaged her the previous night asking if he was busy as he had important news for her. While she technically was busy, she made time for him after her fight. Their set time was at 9 and it was now 8. She hoped she could get a shower in before he came over.

Lex groaned when it began to lightly rain. She sped up slightly before the ground became too dangerous to.

~

It was 30 minutes before 9 when Lex got home. She raced for the bathroom and took a warm, steamy shower to wind down and relax her muscles. She made sure to keep track of time and hopped out after 20 minutes. But she dawdled when she got out and wasted more time than she realised.

There was a knock on the door when she stepped out of the bathroom. Shit. She hurried to throw on some clothes before answering the door. She was met with Minho's handsome grinning face. He really is attractive. Lex invited him in and dragged him by the hand over to her couch.

They recounted each other's days and Minho was especially interested in Lex's fight. After observing the markings on her face, Minho figured it was a heated brawl. They enjoyed chatting over snacks and drinks. Minho had brought over a bag of unpopped popcorn and a 6 pack of some alcoholic beverage she's never heard of before. After zapping the popcorn in the microwave, they lounged on the couch, crunching on popcorn and sipping from their bottles of some sort of beer. Lex cringed at the bitter taste but found herself wanting to keep drinking it. This wasn't her first time drinking, but this wasn't her taste.

Minho felt nervous as he anticipated approaching the topic of inviting her into the gang. Thankfully, they could carry conversations and it eased Minho's worries.

"Alright so, I have a proposition for you," Minho announced, licking the salt off his fingers. Lex paused her chewing, turning her gaze to him.

"And that is?" Lex stared at him expectantly

"Well... This feels awkward to ask...." Minho rubbed at his face to build the courage to ask her, "But would you wanna work with me?"

"Join your little gang?" Lex quirked an eyebrow. Out of the many things he could've asked, she didn't expect that. Then again, she wasn't sure what she expected. But probably not a blunt invitation.

"When you put it like that...." Minho pouted, crossing his arms.

Lex apologised, only half sincere. "Why though?"

"I want you with me. You're a skilled fighter and decent hacker." Minho realised he forgot to mention that detail to Chan. He shrugged off the embarrassment and figured it'd make her look better when he did reveal it.

"That makes me good enough?"

"It makes you... Useful. But more than that, we get to work together."