42: Down to Earth

Chan issued their next mission in the middle of October. They had taken a break but it was time to get back to work. Repairment began on the machine Chan said he wanted to be fixed. It was smaller than expected, but there was multiple of them. He had gotten it a year ago and left it at this house.

Their current mission was to retrieve a protection fee from a man. It was overdue and they were getting impatient. It was a pain as the distance was longer from this location than it was from HQ. But money was money.

"Stay safe." Lex leaned in for a kiss, which he returned wholeheartedly.

"I'll try extra hard, knowing I have you to come back to," Chan quoted dramatically as if he were in a play. He had been actively making sweet comments like that since they kissed. It was a nice change.

She shook her head but chuckled. "Don't make me miss you."

"That's my goal!" He beamed at her then planted another kiss on her forehead. He would've liked to stay in and cuddle with her all night but he had his duties.

Lex chuckled then shoved Chan towards his room door by his bum. "Whatever, go now."

Chan met with Minho and Changbin who were waiting by the door, all decked in gear. With one last glance at her, he waved and left. She sighed and went to go bother someone else. They hadn't really been apart for a long time, but she wasn't going to grieve over it. Jeongin and Seungmin had also gone out, much to Chan's dismay.

They rented a car to go grab dinner together. Who was left at home? Lex, Jisung, Felix and Hyunjin. Each person lost a roommate, a weird observation she made. She made a bowl of popcorn went to Hyunjin's shared room to see if he was up for hanging out with her.

"Hey Hyunjin, can I come in?"

Hyunjin looked up from his drawing, visibly pleased upon seeing her. He covered up his drawing with another piece of paper then sat cross-legged. "Yeah, sure. How are you?"

"I'm alright." She shook the bowl in front of him. "I'm bored though."

He held a hand to his chest."And you came to bother me? I'm honoured."

"Of course." She sat down beside him, placing the bowl on the carpet. "How have you been? I know it's been a while but are you okay with the stuff that went down in the basement with the photos?"

Hyunjin grimaced but nodded. "Yeah, I'm sorry I reacted like that."

"No, don't be. I was just worried about you."

"It happened ages ago, so I shouldn't be so torn over it. But it still enrages me."

"Do you want to talk about it? You don't have to if you don't want to though." She couldn't deny she was curious. This Woojin was just an enigma. She knew what he looked like and only heard him through vague passings, still not knowing what he did that made everyone resent him.

He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I can, I want to. I've never really talked about it with the others. They don't really want to. I did talk about it with Chan though the other night when he came after me."

"Well, take your time, okay?"

They sat on the ground, shovelling popcorn into their mouths, the only sound being the crunching of corn. She regretted asking now, seemingly had made it awkward. Sparing a glance at his face, she could tell he was reliving it. He was frowning slightly as he chewed on his popcorn one piece at a time.

"He nearly got us killed," He said finally in a soft voice, pausing in eating popcorn. There was pain behind his words, pain that he kept hidden for long enough until it erupted. Unfortunately, Lex had to experience it.