87: The Night Will Be Over Soon

Chan rolled over in bed, unable to fall asleep. Lex had decided to take refuge on the couch to collect herself. She had kissed Chan on the forehead and made sure he knew that she loved him before waddling out of the room in his hoodie. But he missed her. He was sure that was going to pass with time.

Maybe he could just check up on her. After stretching and throwing on a jumper, he quietly made his way down the stairs. Lex's voice became more audible as he came closer to her. Another voice accompanied her. Minho. He wasn't concerned with him being there, he just hoped they weren't drinking again.

"You know after you left, one of the kids chugged an energy drink he swiped and started hyperventilating?" Lex's speech came out odd as she chewed on something.

Minho let out a snort that he tried to stifle when he realised it wasn't a laughing matter. "Dammit, I shouldn't find that funny. Who was it? Ahmad?"

"No actually, it was Lachlan."

"I'm not surprised. Was he okay?"

"Can't remember, I was fighting with Owen."

"Not surprised about that either. Did you win?"

"Of course I did. Pass me the bears." There was rustling as Lex snatched the packet of gummy bears.

Chan decided to turn around and sneak back up the stairs before they noticed him. It relieved him to know she had her best friend back. He couldn't suffocate her by being with her constantly. She had her friends, he was glad. When he went to climb the stairs, he had to suck in a deep breath and clap a hand to his mouth to stop himself from yelping.

Jisung was perched on the stop with his hands out as if to stop him from making a noise. They made eye contact and heard Lex and Minho's conversation continue before they knew the coast was clear. The two slowly tiptoed back upstairs until they reached Jisung's room.

"You. Scared. The. Shit. Out. Of. Me." Chan blurted out as soon as the door closed. He wasn't exactly mad but the spike in his heart rate wasn't ideal. Seeing Jisung's panicked expression quickly made him extinguish any annoyance he had,

"Sorry! I just... I wasn't spying, I just wanted to check on him. I know they both have been drinking a lot and I just don't want them to fall deeper into that before they can get out," Jisung rambled, his eyes wide. Minho wasn't being distant with him but he didn't particularly like when his boyfriend would smell like alcohol in bed.

Chan patted his shoulder. "If it's any consolation, they were snacking on the gummy bears we bought today."

"If they remember that they did tomorrow, that's all I want for them."

"Me too." Chan wrapped his arms around Jisung patting his back. Then he turned around to return to his room.

"Thank you for everything, Hyung."

Chan's eyes flashed at the use of the honorific again. It stunned him every time he heard it. It both scared him and made him feel proud. In their own way, it was to show their appreciation for their leader.

"You're always welcome."

~

Once Lex had actually decided to unpack more than just her clothes and essentials, she enlisted the help of Minho and Seungmin. She didn't have a problem with them seeing her personal belongings. They had seen almost everything she had to offer. Seungmin was especially surprised at how many toys and random items she kept. Many of which had been gifted.

"Where are you going to put all of this stuff?" Seungmin asked as he grabbed a lava lamp from a bag. He initially was hesitant to help unpack as he was afraid he might find something he shouldn't have. He knew better than to be nosey now after walking in on Lex and Chan once before.