80: Lonely Street

"Lex? Are you okay?"

The shivering woman shrugged, her hand resting on top of her right pants pocket. Sana merely nodded and offered her hand for Lex's luggage without any question. She had been extremely lucky Sana had been awake, courtesy of her constant all-nighters. And the fact that she even drove out here despite not having spoken to her for a long time. From what Chan had mentioned at the hospital, Sana had been on the battlefield too.

Lex wouldn't have known what to do if Sana hadn't responded. Would she have stayed? Let Chan talk her into staying while carrying the burden of her guilt on her fragile back? Her mind was a mess of emotions and yet at the same time so distant.

Would she still have left on her own? She couldn't get anywhere on her own. With her legs injured and her vehicle's location unknown. Her car could be at her motel, if they hadn't destroyed it yet. And there was no way she was going back there now.

"Hop in the front. There's someone in the back who wants to speak to you," Sana announced as she popped open the trunk of her car. 

Lex didn't even consider who it might be. If it wasn't Jeongin, she didn't care. She would protest if she had the energy for it. Maybe someone finally came to finish her off. Was Sana like that? Who knows. With a sigh, Lex opened the front passenger seat and climbed in with a grimace, ignoring whoever might be behind her.

"Hello..." A woman's voice greeted her from behind. It was familiar.

Lex glanced into the rearview mirror, her eyebrows knitting together when she saw someone she had since forgotten about. "Lisa..."

Now looking at the cropped haired woman, Lex realised she didn't feel resentment towards her anymore, though she didn't have a care for her either. Lisa was the least of her problems and she didn't mind if she was with them as long as they didn't try to engage her in small talk.

"Hey, Lex. I'm so sorry about Jeongin..." Lisa started, offering her a sympathetic smile. 

Lex shook her head and averted her gaze while Sana loaded her cases into her trunk. Not because she wanted to dismiss Lisa but because she didn't want to hear their condolences. It didn't bring him back and she didn't need to be reminded. They were empty words and she didn't need them. What she did need, she didn't know either. 

When Sana slammed the trunk shut and hopped back into the front seat, Lex rested her hand on her pocket once more. With one last longing glance towards HQ, Lex's heart clenched as Sana backed out of the driveway, the house becoming smaller in a distance. Her mouth became dry and suddenly her head began throbbing.

Now she wasn't even sure what she was feeling, but she was sure she wanted it to stop. She let her head rest against the door with a thud. 

​​​​"Where is it that you wanna go?" Sana questioned once they reached the main road. She paused for an answer before making a turn.

Lex glanced into the mirror again at Lisa who had her eyes trained on the front. Lex trusted Sana but she couldn't say the same for Lisa. The last thing she needed was to be traced to her new location. She had already removed her SIM card after Sana had confirmed her arrival. No one would be able to trace her, whether good or bad.

​​​​"We can trust her, I promise."

Lex sighed and said in a hushed voice. "Watergrove. It's near the overpass by South Street."

~

All the days become one, day and night meant nothing to her. Lex tipped the bottle to her lips and took a swig, barely cringing at the bitter taste like she once did. She was sprawled out on the bed inside Jeongin's little apartment, where he had shown her before they moved into JYP's faction. Though he had stopped living there for a while, he had continued to pay rent for it to keep his storage. They could afford it. Lex took on that responsibility the night she decided to leave.