49: Turning Tides

It was early in the morning when Chan jerked awake. He wasn't sure why, he didn't have any nightmares and nothing physically woke him up. Lex was still fast asleep with her back to him. She hadn't cuddled with him but was overall kind to him. Of course he shouldn't have expected that everything went to back normal immediately.

Lex had pride and he had hurt her. He would be surprised if she had forgiven him completely. It was his own mistake. With a sigh, Chan grabbed his phone and checked his notifications.

Chan brought the phone to his face, blinking rapidly. He reread one particular message over and over again until he practically memorised it. He glanced at Lex, then turned his phone off.

~

If there was a way to prove that Lex's life was becoming a romantic drama, it was waking up breakfast being made for her. The smell of pancakes was a wonderful way to wake up, considering she didn't even have proper food in her house. It had been cleared out before she moved into HQ and the only things that remained were a few preserved snacks, the ones she ended up leaving to dry out on her coffee table.

Lex sighed, throwing her arm over her eyes. What a shit show. Less than a few days ago she was completing her biggest heist mission yet. The next thing she knew, she was being dumped. Boyfriend. It was a weird word to her. Maybe she was having a superiority complex by thinking she was too old for it.

It was too much to think about. She hoped forgiving him quickly didn't bite her in the ass later. Although she hadn't wanted to give him everything immediately. She was fine sleeping in the same bed as him but didn't snuggle up to him. Nonetheless, they made up. Imagine going to Japan while there was awkward tension between them... Especially since they planned on sharing the same bed.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a loud curse from Chan as he seemingly burnt his hand. If she was in a romantic phase of her life, she was going to take advantage of it. She had never been desperate for a partner, but she wasn't going to let Chan slip that easily. Too long had she been alone.

There were unspoken doubts that she had. They both had their own problems that they didn't like to talk about. She had a feeling this wasn't going to be the last time they had a problem like this. It became apparent her cold demeanour was purely a defence mechanism. Maybe she liked being relaxed for once, but maybe she also felt vulnerable. It was hard to tell which was worth it. At least now, she didn't have a permanent scowl on her face. But some days, she almost missed it.

Lex rolled to her feet as Chan loudly muttered as he ran his fingers under cold water. It was a warm morning and her skin felt glazed. Which explained why Chan was cooking breakfast with his shirt off. Or perhaps it was a ploy to get brownie points with her. No, Chan wasn't like that. Though she didn't stop herself from eyeing him head to toe.

"Are you playing the househusband role for me now?"

The sudden noise startled Chan into knocking the handle of the pan, Thankfully, nothing spilled and no one was burned as both reacted quickly by preparing to catch something. The kitchen was tiny compared to the one at HQ.

"Sure, just for you." He waved the spatula at her. "It's an opportunity very few get."

"How many?"

"I cook for the members sometimes, remember? Just never like this." Chan gestured to his body then smirked. What used to aggravate her now drove her crazy. She loved when Chan was confident in his body because he damn well should be and would not tolerate otherwise. But if he thought he could make it up with just his body, he was wrong.

"Please, you won't get brownie points by being shirtless around me."

"Okay okay, but what about these?"