71: Vengeance

Lex gripped the steering wheel with more force than she intended. She would've preferred her motorbike but she knew that would draw more attention to her. What's the point of getting a bike if I can't even use it?* For hours she did laps around the city, getting caught in the usual traffic. Usually, it would annoy her but she had other things on her mind.

No matter how mad she was at Chan, she knew he was right. He had every right to be annoyed but his accusations became hurtful. It sparked the defiance that she thought she had lost. Still, she wasn't ready to face him yet. He hadn't tried to contact her anyway so it was safe to say they needed time.

The stress and pressure of being under watch and scrutiny were becoming too much. She wanted to breathe. Was that so much to ask for? Lex skidded to a stop upon the traffic lights blinking red. The reoccurring thought she had returned once more.

Oh god. What if she really was the cause of Chaeyoung's death? It was her fault, her actions caused consequences for others. It was true, she hadn't cared about Chaeyoung, but she didn't want her dead. She gritted her teeth as she sped off as soon as the lights turned green, taking a different turn than she had the last hour.

The bright lights of the city and their tall towers became a blur in a distance once she reached the highway, driving further and further away from the place she had been calling home. It didn't feel like home. She was fooling herself when she thought she liked the place. Sure there were few people she met there that she actually liked. But she missed HQ when it was just their own gang. 

Lex knew she wasn't supposed to go out this far on her own but the need to get away clouded her judgement, just for a moment. Hell, she even missed the motel more. After what seemed like forever, the many lanes became bushland. She was familiar with the tall trees that housed wildlife.

Though grateful for her friendships, meeting Minho and falling in love with Chan, there were days when she missed being on her own. Maybe it was selfish to think that. She had been used to being on her own for years but her life had been better when she joined the gang. Even if it caused her more pain. She was starting to miss Chan. But she was determined in her pursuit. 

The motel harboured bad memories of her past, but it was a comfort to her. It had everything she needed. After almost an hour of driving, it became apparent how far her destination was from the city. It had been ages since she had last been there too. 

Her phone buzzed in her pocket but she ignored it. She was almost there. And considering her history of near vehicle accidents, it wasn't a wise idea to take her eyes off the road. If she hurried then she could make it back before midnight. Or maybe she could even stay a night there. If she did, she was going to message Minho first. Maybe she should've taken someone with her.

In a distance, the motel parking lot became clearer as she rolled down the all too familiar road. It sent a wave of relief through her. She gulped as she turned into the lot, parking in front of her door. Chan had been parked here months ago when he had chased after her to ask for forgiveness. It saddened her to think about it, how strongly she had felt for him only to be turned down. 

Chan may have come back for her, but there was still a longer of doubt at times. She was not always as mature as she pretended to be. She didn't really get jealous but couldn't resist being petty at times. Enough of that. Lex came here to take a break, not feel sorry for herself.

The car door slammed loudly as she shut it, letting out some of her stress. The temptation to destroy her shoddy car crossed her mind but she squandered it before she entertained the idea. She stepped up to her door and reached for the doorknob. But she paused when she noticed recent smudged fingerprints under the newly changed streetlights. Lex realised something a minute too late.