43: Black and White

They took extra precautions on their next missions. Minho talked Chan's ear off until he called a meeting and explained the situation at hand. Some of them were worried, disappointed and confused. He mentioned the fact that he might be the cause of it to shift the blame to himself. But Lex thought otherwise. Chan insisted on going out on every mission with them. His paranoia about everything had risen at an alarming rate. He already had suspicions. Merrick's ominous words confirmed if not worsened them.

There was still no telling who was after them. They all believed it was attached to their cocaine mission, but Lex was starting to worry about her own share of the mess. She was the one that had been attacked. She was the one that nearly died. The sudden recall of the night almost sent her into a spiral of panic. She had felt fine. But it had been truly terrifying. Her thoughts were interrupted by Chan entering her room and settling himself on top of her, his cheek against her chest. He heaved a sigh as he patted around the bed for her hand, interlocking them when he found it.

"You okay?" She asked, running her hand through his hair. Though he had been extremely busy, he found comfort in her most days. They had passed the honeymoon phase but remained smitten for one another. She was surprised she feel this strongly for someone. What started off as blind hatred was now blossoming.

"I am so... Exhausted. Like usual but times two," He murmured. Ever since their big altercation, he had been working extra hard. Money from god knows where came in steadily at the price of coming home in cuts and bruises. They had all recovered while at their hideout, the slow transition back into work reminded them how cutthroat it could be.

Chan would come home dishevelled and injured. Lex wasn't an expert in first aid but patched him up when she could. It reminded her of when she had bandaged his hand. Maybe that had been the start of their relationship journey.

"Take another break?"

He shook his head, which ended up just rubbing his cheek against her. "No, I can't let our guard down... It might cost us."

Lex wasn't sure what to say that didn't sound dismissive. Her hand continued roaming in his hair, massaging it here and there. It could still be her fault. The briefcase still sat in her wardrobe. Chan had forgotten about it. She remembered he had brushed over it after the topic came back to him when they were in the caravan. Could that be why he had changed the topic suddenly? Had he known back then?

"I still have the contract papers at my motel. What should I do with that?" She wasn't sure whether that would distract him or make him feel more paranoid. That had been on her mind for a while. She guessed her attackers could've stemmed from that. That was the most recent major thing she had stolen.

"Burn it." He said immediately, lifting his head, eyes wide. "Actually let me see them first, but it's no good keeping them around."

"What if the people that attacked me were associated with it?"

"Well then, we're fucked." He dropped his head back to her chest. He didn't seem panicked even, just more exhausted. There were visible eye bags under his eyes now. They slept in the same room most nights and she fell asleep before he did. Maybe he wasn't actually getting any sleep.

She continued playing with his hair. If it was her fault, she felt like she should be the one to fix it. She wouldn't forgive herself if one of the others got hurt on her behalf. Was she going to give it back? Leave it where she found it? If she got caught lurking in that area again she was probably not leaving alive. How could she have forgotten about it? No, she chose to not think about it. She really could've died that night.

"When do we go back?"

"I don't know... maybe we'll stay until after your birthday."

"Oh yeah, you remembered that?" Her mind was momentarily distracted by the idea of her birthday.